Weight of Pease Planer

I recently bought a Pease planer on ebay, and am doing the preparations for the road trip to go fetch it (currently it is 800 miles to the south of here). "American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders" has the weight of the original Pease planer at 3400 lbs, but the one I've bought seems to be the "improved model" of 1889. The critical dimensions are 24" x 84" table, 116" overall length, 72" high. Anyone have any literature that quotes a weight for this planer? I'm trying to find out if it will be ok on a tandem axle car carrier, or if I will need something bigger. I'm guessing the weight at between 5,000 and 7,000 lbs, but that is a pretty wide range. I can probably get a trailer that will do 5,000 without any problem, but if it is over

6,500 I'm going to have to jump through some hoops.

Thanks,

Adam Smith Midland, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Adam Smith

I am assuming that it is this one

I don't have an idea of what it weighs but often you can figure sizes of sections of a machine and use .283 lb/cu for steel and come up with a good enough estimate to get by with.

Glad to see a piece of history is finding a home.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Yes that is the one. I'm pretty pleased with the purchase. It is going to be a lot of work, but it should repay the effort. Did you see the radial drill he was selling? Amazing thing. Haven't made up my mind about it yet, but if I'm travelling in a good size flatbed I may take it yet (if no-one else buys it in the meantime). I can't wait to see Canada Revenue officer's face when I bring the planer back across the border!

Adam

Reply to
Adam Smith

Side comment -- I can't help you with the weight but had noticed the listing and am happy to see that the old beast will be put back into harness. Machinery from that era just looks cool.

My wife simply would not believe it was a "single bed frame with interesting headboard". ;^)

Reply to
Fred R

I told my wife that the wives were going to be the limiting factor on the winning bid. I guess she won. Her stipulation is that she gets to come on the road trip, she actually enjoys them at this point.

I had serious trouble with her on the Cincinatti twelve-footer (ie machine was 24' long) from about nine months ago. In retrospective she was right, it was just too big for the space, the rigging and hauling were going to be out-of-sight. I would be happy to know that somebody has taken it in the meantime, though, I'd hate to think of it going for scrap. Listed twice, and no bids, a sad thing.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Smith

I'd guess this planer was closer to 8000 than 6000 (might be more). If you plan on using a fork lift I'd say get a 10,000 pounder or larger as it's hard to get close to the machine because of the drive/driven pulley on each side (also throws off the balance if you need to pick off-center). Also I'd suggest you chain (or somehow fix) the table so it can't move when being transported or loaded. Good luck.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

$500 ! cool How far do you have to move it? Looks like 6,000 lbs.- to me.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Is this the one?

Now if someone along the way from Midland, Ontario, Canada to Rinard, IL, United States needed to move a machine south you might be able to defray your costs. Just trying to help out with your machine budget :)

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Reply to
woodworker88

The best number I'm going on as basis for the weight is for the comparably sized Hendey planer, which is listed in its literature at 6,700 lbs, but to say that it could be up at the 8,000 mark is certainly within the bounds of possibilty. Thanks for the reminder on securing the table, I'll be putting together a checklist, I'll make sure that is on it.

I've done a fair bit of my own rigging (including a home-grown rigging disaster, quite a long time ago now). Bob Smith, the seller, says he has done quite a bit, and I'm certainly impressed at the safe landing of the three big pieces he was selling (especially the big lathe! much worse rigging problem than the planer, to my mind), so I'll be listening hard to him as we go. Having said which, I bow to your obviously superior experience, and if any other pieces of advice or recommendations come to mind between now and the move (probably still a month away), feel free to chime in, I'll be most interested in hearing anything you have to say.

Thanks,

Adam Smith Midalnd, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Adam Smith

I'll be moving it just over 800 miles, I guess about 1,300 kilometers. I hope you are right on the 6,000, and I suspect you are, but unless I can get Bob to weigh it before I get there, or find some documentation, I'm going to have to plan on 8,000 lbs, as rigger has said.

Yes, to me, the $510 was a very reasonable price for a wonderful piece of equipment. I would have gone quite a bit higher. But I've had a desire for a fairly large older planer for a long time, and they don't come up very often. I wish the condition was a bit better, but I'm willing to spend some time bringing it back up to standard.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Smith

Yes that is the radial drill. Isn't it incredible? Even if I don't take it, I'm looking forward to seeing it. I sure hope it manages to find a home, whether mine or some other.

I suppose that is correct, it would be nice not to be deadheading on the southbound leg. I can't imagine anyone from Michigan or Illinois buying hardware in Ontario and moving it south, though! It seems to me that the best buys anywhere are in Detroit these days (sadly, and for obvious reasons ... ). If I get forced into my fallback plan on the transport, it will be a

20 ton flatbed, but has no boom, tilt or lift-deck, so the only way I could take a southbound load would be if there was a fork lift at both ends (or a loading dock, I suppose). If I'm in the flatbed, I'll probably organize a mobile crane, for the unload at this end.

Anyone in the Barrie/Midland area have a 4 ton or greater tandem or tri-axle trailer they want to rent?

Adam

Reply to
Adam Smith

It has been on my list of places I'd like to visit for quite a while. This has been a crazy busy year with my business, but maybe next year, I hope.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Smith

Reply to
RoyJ

If anyone here has the email address for Dave_v on

can I ask you to forward this to him? I've sent him a direct message, but I see that he hasn't participated there since 2003. He left a few messages that make it clear that he has the same model planer as the one I've purchased, so I'd like to get in touch with him if I can. He can contact me as adam_j_u_smith on either ebay or chaski.

Thanks,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Smith