Beer

Jx?5±nÃ0 Dw~·nÊ??2Ë6- ±D?¤,øïCÇè$B¼;¾x.Ñ~~?P/?ÕHòÿûWÁDf¹&ÌÕ7äëÉGÌ?T ±÷ DF.ë?+ó?qv??GEm)]Á?¸?Bc?N¿±D¨ÖæÍYñ?¯Ê??Ûê1-¯?Kÿ?Bç:?|`gì?KÜÉY®nÿµÜ[rZì,vÅ[Þgáâ?F;ìY¹¸så?~w1?o·1i8¶¨ªMÉqÖ?7µÊrZ

Reply to
Steve B

Do you drink enough beer to consume a 5gal batch before it gets stale? I brewed a few batches, but found I had to give most of it away to friends to ensure it was consumed while fresh.

Reply to
Pete C.

You need more friends!

Were you bottling it? In bottles, stored well, good beer should last for at least a year.

Granted, mine rarely lasted that long -- that's what friends are for.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Probably.

650ml bottles. I tried to ensure they were consumed within a few months.
Reply to
Pete C.

Post your location and we'll try to help :)

Reply to
RBnDFW

After you test drink it, there are issues with brewing, send me a few bottles.

Wes

Wes

North of Dallas, almost to Oklahoma :)

Reply to
Pete C.

Hey neighbor! If it ever cools off enough to go outside again lets get together and tip one?

Reply to
cavelamb

Cool enough? It's been ~100F, 25% humidity and 5-10 MPH breeze. As long as you have shade it's perfect :)

Reply to
Pete C.

Here, it has been 104, to 106 (in the shade) for the last week or so. But yesterday was down to 103 and today is supposed to be cooler - 102.

A cold brew would go down real nice...

Reply to
cavelamb

We have a local beer in SW Utah called "Polygamist Porter"

"You can't have just one" is the motto.

True story.

I'd try it, but it makes me cringe to think of how it's brewed........

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Hey, I'm in Keller. Let me know when the next batch comes up!

Reply to
RBnDFW

Cold homebrew, summertime, shade tree. What's not to like?

Reply to
RBnDFW

I've done many partial grain kits from Brewers Best from LD Carlson. I've had great success with the darker ales. I've never tried a pilsner or lager, as they ferment at a much lower temperature, and much longer time. Ales are done in 3-10 days. I've never bottled, as I found 5 gallon soda syrup cans from a brewer supply, and have a CO2 bottle to carbonate and pressurize. The equipment I use is a 4 gallon enamel canning pot, with another 2 gallon pot (for the 5 gallons total) although the kit instructions say

2-3 gallon pot, and add cold water to 5 gallons in the ferment pail. I did buy the ferment pail and thermometer, I have a hydrometer but never use it (learned after the first batch, that the kit ingredients have all the fermentable sugars needed). The ferment pail is 6 gallons to give additional airspace for the ferment bubbles (sometimes not enough to prevent the airlock from blowout). I've make great stouts (which you can't screw up), brown ale, scotch ale, red ale. I've never been able to have decent cream or pale ales, seems I get a wild yeast in them. My process is after the final boil, to dump the mix into the ferment bucket, snap the lid on, and set on concrete floor until it has cooled to less then 90 degrees F. Then pitch the yeast. This way the bucket is sterilized with boiling hot water, as well as the lid, which has steam condensate to kill anything. If I ever have a problem its the airlock letting something in while cooling. I'm told to put vodka in it for that purpose, but since I don't drink "hard" liquor never have it around. As for posters that are worried about it going stale, they must not like beer.
one of the brewers bible requirements is to drink beer while brewing. ignator
Reply to
ignator

[...]

Coming down from OKC October 1&2. Suppose there will any left by then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG Keep the whole world singing . . .

Reply to
DanG