Metal bending on a small scale

I want to bend some smaller metal, probably not more than 5/16". It will be square, round, and flat. The flat will be probably 1/8" thick. I will also do stuff smaller than 5/16.

I want to do scrolls, nineties, French curves, anything I can draw, I want to transfer to metal. Can you guys give me some ideas?

I have envisioned a flat plate with holes drilled in it at strategic places, and where I just drill them for a one of a kind bend. Then, using bolts, pins, blocks, round dollies, and all, be able to make attractive repeatable bends.

I know there are scroll benders available, and I will probably end up buying one just for the accurate results. I also know that there are many benders available for $50 from Horrible Freight, Northern Tools, et al, and they go up from there. Problem is with those, I have found it difficult to have the bends come out where you could lay the finished piece on a flat surface and have it lay flat. Hence the plate idea.

I have envisioned a hand crank to make some basic scrolls where just the first two inches of a workpiece is scrolled, and not the long sweeping scroll from there.

Any ideas, experiences, plans, sites will be appreciated.

I will be leaving for a trip for two weeks, so just post here, or e mail me, and I will take it up when I return.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I just might want to sell something perfect for your needs, but you have refused to be civil repeatedly in the past. I think I'll keep it for those beach fixes and let others share in the shade. Sure beats setting up a glass roof. IIRC mine is 24' X 40'.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

oops How'd that happen.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

should provide some ideas.

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Whaaaa?

Reply to
SteveB

Looked at it several times, but for $600, I don't think so. What I want to do is a lot smaller stuff.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:10:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

's "only" about $2,400 with all the attachments and dies.

That $70 HF benchtop model is looking better all the time, eh?

Unless you're looking for a much smaller model like this one:

  • Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
  • shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques

So make it smaller :-) Concept... ideas -

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

So you do talk, kinda.

Buying shade and finding the right person to sew it is all you need to save $

Never mind

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I diagnosed and repaired an issue today with a Wesco roll former.

Its 110 feet long.

Gunner

Gunner

You are in Las Vegas.

I used to be a steel erection contractor in Las Vegas. We did awnings. I had a guy in Henderson, and one in East Las Vegas that did my canvas work. We did all the awnings for Duck Creek Condos, and all of the Budget suites. As well as McGees Ski Chalet. A lot of the older stuff we did is gone now, remodeled away. Many many awnings at many businesses and residences. We did all the wrought iron work at Mt. Charleston Hotel, which still looks new.

But one friend has changed occupations, and the other is unreasonably high priced.

So, I get it where I can get it. I have considered buying a walking foot Consew to do some work for myself, but can't justify the cost. These sunshades were $120 each, and just a drop in. Hardly worth messing with.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

x?]RM?Û0½ëWÌ)¥¸N`/?´?B÷Pz?gÙ[jd?Æküïûd?eÉÁ ?Þ×H=»?]/úè?=?tå?Nuý?óùx:k:ÔOu½§?)Êå?Nâý¬è?ÎÒL)lõç/îEÝáv^.Þ?½vék?CôÎhaS?udNQøüñÖÇsù®?}crByÐÞs¢óáóãÔ÷Z¥ª*r?u¦ÃãÄãÿæ`­ªWjØ;~c«?^ivÞÓß)Ë?ÑÌ1?b?Òèád»°?7L?Î'ì?Ü??¨Ò>Gê£ =@¨g) )?:0Í?J? AÓ2PÕ4ÞåÍ7e?ºnO³u­¥lãäÍ{2o??cº>ÂbÄõV??ó?t0¤Ö°¡ÓêaàÆ8 ¦Q ®e?ê?s¥Ô7?Ìm8?î²4ù(ÅzY$BNZ°Û

Reply to
SteveB

I remember when Radio Hack used to sell those; called it a "wire jig" at the time. This was back when they sold useful items other than cell phones and batteries.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Thanks, Jon. Now I have "wire bender" to Google, and garner some ideas about how to make one of these. I Googled about eight pages of entries, and there are some definite good concepts in there for me to run with.

The kinds with the two rods sticking up that hold the small rod/bar is the concept I was thinking of.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

How many bodies did you get out between rollers ?

Sheet metal roller ? or is it a long narrow production line item.

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've tried to interact with you before and seemed like you just blew me off. Can't get a good idea of what your exactly talking about , but most just crumble fast out here. I don't keep mine up all the time (don't have room on the property after building the shop) , but its light colored and loose woven nylon? I need to find a helper to help fold and roll it up tight to store cause it looks like I'll never need it again. Maybe find someone into aliens to buy it so they all won't bake while waiting for the next night of weird lights around ahhh black ops. I used it for covering the pools so that I wouldn't fry to a crisp at the same pool for a week. Guess I'll have to wonder for the rest of my life of how hot it really would get down in a concrete hole even with 70% shade cause I never did run into a cheap thermometer that would go to around 150 degrees. Hot really hot, like melting boom boxes, tapes, carpenter crayons, and turn brunets into blonds.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:42:59 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

-snip--

I picked up a $300 non-walking-foot Consew last year. It works fine for my NoteSHADE production purposes. I couldn't afford the extra $350 at that time for the walking foot model. It came with a bench, new lamp, and half a dozen feet/bobbins/needles. A real machine sure beats trying to sew heavy materials with a home model, lemme tell ya. Then again, that old, black, cast-iron, TOTC Universal machine did a job once I figured out the tensions and got a new needle in it.

  • Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
  • shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques

"Sunworshipper" wrote re: awnings

We used Raven Mills Sunbrella canvas on our awnings. It was a tight weave, heavy canvas. These new ones are a specific woven fabric that won't unravel, and has a long sun life. Or is supposed to have.

We had commercial Sunbrella covered awnings that lasted ten years in the Las Vegas sun. It had a lot to do with how they were tensioned.

This past summer was particularly brutal, even for Las Vegas standards, wasn't it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ive run across at least 15 Consew and Jukis in the last few years, and the most any of them cost was $200

Gunner

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote

If I could find one, I would buy it in a second. Where do you live?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB