Lathe door interlock

Hello All,

Does anyone have the Code to Bypass a door Interlock on a Bridgeport HTC-8 Lathe? It has a GE Fanuc Series 21i-T controller

Thanx In Advanced for any help

Larry

Reply to
Captain Larry

After all the shit I've heard about, seen and experienced first- hand, I wouldn't tell even if I knew.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Ive Been Running CNC since BEFORE they had Gaurds, I am just looking to do a Little Finish Polishing

Reply to
Captain Larry

CL:

Maybe all this guy wanted to do was a little finish polishing, eh. LOL

BottleBob

zip file of the pics:

Black Dragon

Reply to
BottleBob

My sigs are randomly generated once an hour on the hour, so no, I didn't pick it. And yes, it's un-nerving how sometimes they relate to what I post. :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

What ever happened to this Group, Used to get REAL Answers and Real Help. Now ALL BS

Reply to
Captain Larry

Captain:

I'm sorry, I thought the pic was humorously apropos here.

As far as what happened to the newsgroup; If you want to know every political view & perspective on an issue - we've got just the trolls for you.

If you want to know every view & perspective on Global Warming - we've got those trolls for you as well.

Bypassing door interlocks, now that's a touchy subject since it's obviously an OSHA safety issue as Charlie implied. This is probably one of those cases that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Sometimes you can put a magnet on certain types of sensors and it will fool it into thinking it's closed. But you didn't hear it from me - I disavow any knowledge of having said anything on the subject.

Watch those long sleeves now, or we might have a new series of photos to show (where you've become *ONE* with your machine). LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

What ever happened to this Group, Used to get REAL Answers and Real Help. Now ALL BS

  1. since the yanks joined in........

  1. if you cant run a lathe safely without guards then you should not be running one at all.

  2. I bet all those horror picture poster knowit alls have used a guardless machine be it lathe mill drill grinder....in many cases try doing it otherwise especially pillar drills.
Reply to
Ten Pin Bowling

I Guess there are No Real Machinists here. I have been Machining for over 30 years. I agree that you should never override a saftey on a Production Run. I am doing a LOT of 1 Offs ( My biggest order in the Past Year was 3 Parts) and being able to polish a few tenths out of a Bore would be Helpfull. As of righ now I am taking the pieces over to a Manual Lathe and Polishing what is Needed ( Hmmm No Interlocks on Maual Equiptment... I wonder Why? Also OSHA ALLOWS for Set Up personal to have access to the 1 Event Software override

15 years ago I used to come to this Group Very Often and it WAS Great to Have Fellow Journeymen and Such to be able to "Chat" with and trade > > > > Black Drag> > >>> Maybe all this guy wanted to do was a little finish polishing, eh. LOL
Reply to
Captain Larry

Captain:

In defense of the group, let me just say that in your first post you made no mention of your experience or the reason you wanted to bypass the door interlocks. You "could" have had only 3 hours of machining experience, and giving out any door interlock override information would NOT have been the smart/safe thing to do. I'm sure you can see that giving out information that could compromise the safety of an inexperienced operator is not something responsible people would tend to do. Now that you've made your situation an experience more clear, I'd help you if I could but I just don't know the override code for your machine. The magnet idea didn't work?

Reply to
BottleBob

No you didn't. alt.machines.cnc was created on Oct 1995, Friday the 13th to be specific, not Feb 1994.

It still is.

Have you pondered the situation where perhaps no one who has read your question has a definitive answer for it?

Having little CNC lathe experience, I certainly don't. Yet here I am chatting and trading info. Imagine that.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Yeah, You are right. I know several different codes and would NOT give them to anyone I didnt Know... The Lock on this Machine is a Mechanical Lock, you CAN NOT OPEN the Door unless everything is Off and ten ONLY in MPG Mode.

Its just a Pain to have to go to a Manual Lathe to Polish a couple of tenths

Larry

BottleBob wrote:

Reply to
Captain Larry

If you post here on bypassing a safety you will get negative responses (flamed) but at the core they advocate keeping people safe.

You are not alone

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Still helpful you just need a thicker skin.......and kill file Cliff.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I was once hired by some attorneys to survey the scene of an accident. Somebody who was just doing a little polishing got his arm polished off. Not my favorite kind of work.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Unless the machine is very, VERY poorly designed, there aren't any codes to disable a door interlock, or any other safety feature that fundamental. At the very least, you'd need to change the ladder logic; and on some machines even that won't work, since the safety systems are all hard-wired (negative true logic, fail safe) into a black box that does all the safety stuff and just tells the PLC and the CNC when they're allowed to move. Nothing about it can be programmed in the field, and any attempt to bypass it pretty much puts the whole machine to sleep.

On a more practical note, as someone else mentioned: If you don't know how to bypass the interlock, then you probably shouldn't. Safety devices like this are typically very simple. That's what makes them so reliable. If you can't look at one, understand what it does, and see how to deal with it, then it's likely that there are other things you won't understand either. And some of those can hurt you.

I'm not trying to talk down to you, or to discount your experience. But if your experience doesn't include this, then it doesn't, and that's something any responsible person needs to consider before answering your question. I can infer, for example, that you've never worked with a factory technician while he/she was installing or servicing this machine, and DID disable the interlocks. That probably means that you didn't see or learn all the rest of went along with handling the machine safely under those special conditions. A little bit of knowledge - especially the wrong little bit - really can be dangerous.

It's often true that there are no safety interlocks on manual equipment. There are also no parts of a manual machine that just start moving all by themselves. And usually nothing that moves nearly as fast as a modern CNC machine. When you use a manual machine, you normally have the controls (clutch levers and start buttons) between you and the machine. On most CNC's, because of the way they're guarded, it's common to lean into the machine, leaving the controls behind you, over your shoulder, where you can't get to them if something bad starts to happen.

Safety IS more important than the inconvenience of taking your parts to the manual machines. So is setting a good example. If you have decades of experience, then its likely that there are younger people around you who, like you 15 years ago, want to hear and see what more senior people have to show and tell. Even if you don't hurt yourself, you could easily help someone else get hurt without even knowing it.

And, if you really respect skill and experience, then the advice you've heard from this group, and the choices made by the people who designed and built your machine, ought to count pretty heavily.

Think. Be safe. And don't EVER let your guard down. That way, you'll be able to make more parts, and polish them on your manual lathe, tomorrow.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

BottleBob wrote in news:lpWdnT-yrI_TWgTUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Having seen a man put his chest in the 3/8" space between the end of a rewind roller and a 2" thick solid steel machine frame (he bypassed the safeties), Having seen a man get 6 of 10 fingers mashed to greasy spots in a trim die (safeties were bypassed), Having helped get a guy out of a chip conveyor with his arm in nearly 2 pieces, (he had put a door key in the switch to do some set-up work, dropped a part in the conveyor and instinctively reached after it) Having a guy come to me with his thumb in his glove, and his hand not (female center and he clamped the tailstock up with his hand between the part and the female center)...on a manual lathe without safeties.....

I'm not about to give out information about how to bypass a safety switch on a machine tool.....

Flame all you want....I've seen enough carnage in my lifetime.

Reply to
Anthony

Anthony:

Nothing gets the idea across like a good color photo. You need keep a digital camera at work for these occasions, eh?

Reply to
BottleBob