Belt buckle

Is that more of your welding rod art?
--
Curt Welch http://AyrHillForge.Com /
✖

I would not call it art, but I have been welding filler rods for some time, making toy people for my kids, and such, and this belt buckle is also an example.
✖
On Oct 2, 9:07 pm, Ignoramus16474 <ignoramus16...@NOSPAM. 16474.invalid> wrote:

Just curious,
How did you get the buckle back into the leather ? Did you have to re- stich it ? Or did you make and 'L' shape and then let it cool and weld farther away from the leather that way ? I'd really like to make one with some stainless rod. Cheers,
/FC...
Add pictures here
✖

It was the latter.
✖
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 18:16:59 -0500, Ignoramus16474

Love it. OA or TIG?
When your online buckle shows up, if you want to send me your shop-made one I'll nickle-plate it for you.
Add pictures here
✖

TIG. I would be delighted to pay the cost of plating. Thanks a lot Don. The only issue with plating, is that the buckle at this point is no longer removable:)
✖

You could always brush plate at least part of it. Caswell sells kits for the hobbysist.
Add pictures here
✖
RCM only
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 18:16:59 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus16474

Damn, stacks of benjies all around and he's -still- too cheap to buy a real buckle. <bseg>
Hey, Ig! Where's the chrome plating?
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖

Actually, I bought two belts... But they have not even arrived yet...

I am not there yet...
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:33:28 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus16474

Excuses, excuses...

Leave those nastyass chemicals to others. Chrome is a deadly process.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 07:47:50 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Just use a chrome-rich alloy and electropolish it.
Cheers! Rich
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 2, 5:16 pm, Ignoramus16474 <ignoramus16...@NOSPAM. 16474.invalid> wrote:

I thought it was going to be fairly elaborate! One welder I knew took and chopped some stainless tubing scrap off at an angle, then ovalized it in a vise. He then filled it with stubs of various sized bronze and stainless rod in a pattern and fused it all together. Was about 2x3" when he got it done. Went over it with a grinder so it was slightly domed, then welded fittings for the belt onto the rear. He said all the welders on site had ones like it, was a brewery under maintenance, so plenty of scrap tubing to mess with.
Stan
Add pictures here
✖
My home made belt buckle is a 3' Stanley tape measure held in a steel surround by Velcro. It not only helps hold my pants up, it is useful and gets a lot of comments.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 09:43:42 -0700, "Leo Lichtman"

You must have a tough time trying to prove that thing is really 10 inches, unless of course you made a custom tape too :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Me. to pretty girl stranger: "Would you like me to prove I have 10 inches?" She: "Get lost, creep." Money pent on fake tape measure--wasted.
Add pictures here
✖

Maybe that's "dog inches".
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 00:23:38 -0700, "Leo Lichtman"

Snort! well at least you got to strike up a conversation, that's a lot farther than I get ;-)
I usually have to settle for the measure along the side of my Leatherman Tool/knife. It has proven to be useful, if I can remember it...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Yabbut, doesn't the large scale (3-1/2" IIRC) tend to emasculate you by its longer presence, Leon? <gd&wvvf>
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 15:38:16 -0700, Larry Jaques

Nah, I never get that far...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b