bench top height question for mini-mill

HF has their bandsaw marked down to $169.99 now with the $8.99 shipping. Quite a deal until I looked at the motor size. 1/3 hp! The $99.99 Homier has a 3/4 hp. I suspect that these might not be completely accurate descriptions though and it might not be "true" hp ratings. So...not sure what I am going to do. I might run over to Sioux Falls and see what I can find at the Mac Hardware store or wait until Dec for Homier to get theirs in.

Rex, what hp motor does your bandsaw have? I'm just a little hesitant to buy this because of the motor. 1/3 hp does not seem like much even just cutting aluminum and brass... Mike

Reply to
mj

LOL whatever gave you THAT idea?? Yeah, chinese horses are a little different. Don't bet on one :)

So...not sure what I am going to do. I might run over to Sioux

I have no idea. It's an older HF unit I bought used.

I'm just a little hesitant

Mike, I've never stalled the motor on mine. When the blade hangs, the belt slips, but the motor keeps turning. I suspect even 1/3 hose is plenty. 3/4 HP seems way too much.

The only issues I'v heard of with motors on any of them is that some of them just burn up early. No pattern to it, they either smoke early on, or they last for years. At any rate, those motors are cheap. Probably a washing machine motor would be a no-cost upgrade if the original ever failed.

Reply to
Rex B

Hey Rex, For better or worse, I just bought a $169.99 HF bandsaw. I bought a couple of extra blades. They did not say whether they were bi-metal though. I got a 10 tpi and an 18 tpi.

I figure if the motor burns up, I'll put the 2 hp from my table saw on the thing and give it some real power. That might be overkill though. LOL Thanks again for all the help. This thread went all over the last couple of weeks. I originally posted my workbench height question and ended up with a bandsaw by the time we all got done. Cool. Mike

Reply to
mj