Best Phillips Screwdrivers?

Hmm, I use all Weller soldering irons. (Pace for desoldering.) I've been using the EC1302B iron for ages, works pretty well. I've moved up to the WSL station and WMP iron in the last couple years. Certainly heats up faster, not so sure the temperature control is as good, but it is good enough. One problem is if the plating breaks down on the EC1302B, the back of the tip can swell and jam it to either the temp sensor or heater, costing about $60 to repair the iron. The WMP seems to be immune from this.

The tips seem to last about a year for me, which is really quite good enough.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have a number of Wiha drivers, and have been very happy with their fit and longevity. I don't use them for home construction projects, only for electronics, so they have seen a bit gentler service.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Not sure but I think the 1/4 inch bits are made with powder metal and are harder and stronger.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't think so, Dan. The quality ones generally are made of forged (headed) S2 tool steel. Cheaper ones are made of a medium-carbon steel.

There may be some that are made of PM but it would require a very good PM process to produce the required toughness. It can be done, but it's a double-press operation that's pretty costly, compared to just heading and heat-treating steel wire.

Reply to
edhuntress2

I think you are right. The finish is probably sand blasted or tumbled to remove scale, but it made me think powdered metal. It would be interesting to see the machines used to make them.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

nd are harder and stronger.

eaded) S2 tool steel. Cheaper ones are made of a medium-carbon steel.

to remove scale, but it made me think powdered metal. It would be interes ting to see the machines used to make them.

Yes, the dull finish does look a lot like PM. However, if they don't attemp t to polish a forged tool, it doesn't look any different.

I suspect they're made on conventional hot-heading machines. These are litt le horizontal forging machines that head the ends, and can also have cross- slide tools that create forms from the side.

Most screws and bolts are made on cold-headers, which are similar but work the metal cold, often from a continuous wire rather than cut off blanks. Co ld headers often are coordinated with thread-rolling machines, making a com plete bolt or screw from wire in a couple of seconds.

In any case, those screwdriver inserts are made on a similar type of high-s peed, high-volume production machine.

Reply to
edhuntress2

I still have a couple SP23 irons, and several of the '60s version of the 8200 guns. I wore out the internal threads on one SP23, that I bought in 1970. Someone in the base's welding shop gave me some scrap welding rods, so I saw, filed and tapped the brass to make my own tips. They outlasted the plated copper tips.

I also have one of the SP series that's 175 watts.

I have some Xcelite tools from the '60s & 70s as well. I would have more, but someone broke into my service truck decades go and took most of my tools. I have one of the early 99SM kits, that was given to me by a friend while I was in the Army. He laughed and gave me the sealed package, then he said that he had watched me fix everything at the radio & TV station with almost no tools for a full year, so he wanted to make sure I had a nice set when I got home a week later. I've had it for 42+ years, and I wore out the two hand reamers. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell