Bio-Fuels Bite the Dust

Sorry. I've also heard talk of a "methane economy", and frankly, that whole concept smells to me.

Reply to
Ken Finney

Don't worry, its jut another false economy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In the landfill that was sealed where I used to live - they generated enough gas to heat the HS pool all year long and some other park stuff. Some places in the East I'm told are mining theirs. Rich in metals of all sorts and naturally glass. Martin

Mart> >

>> I don't have the reference, but someone told me that if we switched to

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

In WWII my dad was sent first to radio school at the Navy's facilities in Washington. They fueled their bunsen burners (among other things) with the sewer gas from a nearby sewer field. Dad said it worked fine as long as the flame didn't go out.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:18:31 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

1:1 odds that some smartalec in the class deflamed it at least once a week, eh? Ewwwwwwwww! Was anyone smart (dumb) enough to attempt sending a flame back into the system?
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think I last heard those stories around 50 years ago, so I don't remember the details. I do remember that he was speaking from experience -- the flames did go out from time to time. He said the pressure was low and unreliable, for one thing.

He was concentrating on getting his code speed up to 26 wpm so he could get shipboard duty, but he only got to 25 because he couldn't type and that was as fast as he could print. So he (a Marine) wound up instead directing fire from naval guns into the Japanese lines on Guadalcanal, from 100 yards in front of them.

There's a good argument for learning to type, eh?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

This likely taught him the value of giving clear and precise information....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Oh, yeah. It also improved his sprinting skills. Along that line, he would not use numerals when transmitting coordinates in Morse code, for that very reason. He spelled them out.

That was not a fun job. He came up out of a trench in Guadalcanal one time, after working the radios for communications between the ships and the Marines on the ground, only to learn that during the time he was in the hole the Japanese had advanced well past him. He spent the night in the reeds of the Tenaru River, up to his nose, wondering if the crocodiles or the Japanese would get him first.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Somebody is doing genetic engineering with termites right now to breed a supertermite that will really put out some methane. I wouldn't want to have that lab near *my* house.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'm always impressed with the number of climatologists we have here who are ready to dismiss the work of thousands of PhDs. I'd never have guessed that climatology leads to hobby machining. d8-)

(However, I should note that one of my neighbors, who is a PhD meteorologist working for NOAA, agrees with you. He's currently doing some multi-century research on climates. I'm not sure if he's a crank or not.)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

But it _would_ have a major effect on the amounts of CO2, CH4, NOx in the atmosphere and the amounts growing matter on the ground. Thus It would prevent the human caused global warming.

When do you get your Nobel Prize then?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I think that happens in every school. I know the chemistry teacher does a double take when he turns on the Bunsen burner and gets a fountain. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller