Broaching Question

I'm hoping that my limited understanding off how the broaching process works will help me find an answer. I'm lookin gfor an inexpensive way to create a gear shift lever. My thoughts are to have a broach (if that's the right name) made up and then utilize a press at work. People I have talked to have suggested that using a milling machine would be the better way to go, but that's not something I have access to. My quantities will be very low, so the cost of having a broach made up may not be worth it. Now, here's my application, I want to make motorcycle hand shift levers similar to the one in the pictures below:

This one was made by cutting a stock foot lever and welding on the additional peice that the extension screws into. Unfortunately this method proved to be a little too weak, the last picture is the bike on the side of the road with the broken lever. What I'd like to be able to do is to make the small peice that attaches to the spline and I thought that the center part could be made using a broach.

I guess my question, aside from wondering if this is doable, is whether or not there's a company around that would be able to make such a broach, or am I totally off base on how the whole process might work? I located in Canada if that makes a difference as to what companies to recommend.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tud

I couldn't see the number and size of the splines in the part in your photo, but I'd say that broaching is the way to go, particularly if they are rather shallow cuts. Probably best to leave cutting the clamping slot until after you do the broaching.

Are you planning on making these for just one make and model of bike? Are the shifter shafts the same size on other bikes?

Just Googling up "broach" will get you plenty of manufacturers who will give you a quote for what you need, once you send them a drawing of your part and tell them what the material is. Be aware that you will probably suffer sticker shock when you get the price.

Frankly, I'm a bit dubious about your being able to come up with anything along the lines of what your photos show which will take the strain of a few unintended hard pulls, pushes or knocks without failing somehow. I think you putting just too much leverage on a small splined shaft, but YMMV.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

For a low-volume application, I'd look for a heavier lever on another make of bike that has the same splines and enough material to cut, drill and thread for the handle. Then buy new levers to modify. I bet that would be cheapest.

Reply to
Rex B

I don't have the number on hand, but they're definately not cut very deep.

I was planning on making just one size, fortunately it will fit serveral makes and model years of older Triumphs, and possibly other British bikes.

Yeah, I'm guessing the price may stop me dead in my tracks.

You're likely right, my plan is to use aluminum to limit the weight on the spline and make the end around the spline beefier than the one in the picture.

Thanks, I'll google for some manufacturers.

Reply to
Tud

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do some searching to see if I can find a compatible shifter as an alternative.

Tony

Reply to
Tud

Perhaps another tack would be to have the pieces cut by the wire EDM method. A CNC wire EDM machine should be able to crank this part out, including the clamping slot in short order.

This suggestion came to mind because at the last Meeting of the New England Model Engineering Society our speaker was Bob Bouley ,an application engineer at Methodes Machine Tool Co. in Sudbury MA. They specialize in Wire EDM and have, as I recall him saying, about 80 machines on the shop floor.

A big advantage of this method is that there is no tooling cost for you. You would just have to provide a drawing and they could take it from there.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Dantieson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Pleasse note our new URL

.
Reply to
Errol Groff

To be blunt, I really didn't see anything in your photographs that would lend itself to broaching. Perhaps you can explain.

Do you understand what broaching is, and some of the applications where it is typically employed?

Were I you, I'd stick close to someone with a milling machine.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

I'm no machinist, so I'll admit that this is the first time I've ever heard of that, so you've given me something new to look into, thanks for the info.

Tony

Reply to
Tud

Harry wrote......

Not entirely, I'm green when it comes to metal work. I was thinking that broaching would be the process of pushing a tool through the part of the shifter that would fit over the splines of the shifter spindle in order to cut the corresponding splines. I could very well be mistaken.

Thanks, I've been given some areas to research that may be an alternative to broaching that I'll follow up on.

Tony

Reply to
Tud

Make part , heat red hot , slip over spline die , squeeze with a mold using hydraulic jacks for pressure , cool off part and clean it up ? Forging seems ideal for this . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Reply to
David Billington

He's looking to broach the splines in the hole that mounts to the shift lever. Broaching is appropriate there. Forging over a mandrel would work too.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones