broken bandsaw blades

What do the members of this group do to repair your broken bandsaw blades? Between my metal and wood bandsaws, I have gotten quite a collection of broken blades over the years that could be repaired. I am ready to invest in a blade repair system, but I don't which system works best.....thanks

Reply to
flyfisher

I made a very simple jig to hold the scarfed ends correctly aligned while brazing them. The jig took an hour or so to make (real simple stuff), and it takes only a minute or two to prepare the ends and make the joint.

Reply to
Gary Wooding

I clamp the ends down to my welding table and TIG the ends back together, temper the weld with a torch, and flatten the weld on the belt sander. I've never had a repair fail.

Reply to
Polymer Man

Silver brazing makes a very strong joint and is easy to do with a propane torch and a simple jig. Scarf the ends at about 30° and clamp in alignment before brazing. I have made blades from bulk blade stock using this method for many years without problems.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Any difference between bimetal blades and plain carbon? I have a cheap blade welder and it welds plain carbon fine but so far I haven't had luck welding the more exotic bimetallic blades ..

GWE

R. O'Brian wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
flyfisher

I have always used bimetal.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

I use a Airco 300 Squarewave tig welder and stainless steel filler.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner