Carnegie's discovery

Andrew Carnegie, nineteenth-century financier and steel magnet, once said, "The greatest discovery of my life is that the men who do the work never get rich." Carnegie knew what he was talking about. He made a fortune off the toil of others.

Baxter

On 10/18/2013 3:59 PM, Bugster, lying racist shitbag *looter*, lied:

Nonetheless, Carnegie built the steel company.

Bugster has no self respect.

Reply to
George Plimpton

And started out as a telegraph messenger boy, working his way up. And the alleged quote ignores what Carnegie surely knew, that organizing and other work of the mind is quite as much work as is swinging a pick.

I doubt Carnegie ever said any such thing, most likely it is a leftist construct concocted by the jealous.

Reply to
hal lillywhite

hal lillywhite wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

And you'd be wrong.

Try 1895:

Baxter

Baxter wrote in news:l3spgu$q8n$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

---------- As early as 1868, at age 33, he drafted a memo to himself. He wrote: "...The amassing of wealth is one of the worse species of idolatry. No idol more debasing than the worship of money."[39] In order to avoid degrading himself, he wrote in the same memo he would retire at age 35 to pursue the practice of philanthropic giving for "...the man who dies thus rich dies disgraced." However, he did not begin his philanthropic work in all earnest until 1881, with the gift of a library to his hometown of Dunfermline, Scotland.[40]

Carnegie wrote "The Gospel of Wealth",[41] an article in which he stated his belief that the rich should use their wealth to help enrich society.

The following is taken from one of Carnegie's memos to himself:

Man does not live by bread alone. I have known millionaires starving for lack of the nutriment which alone can sustain all that is human in man, and I know workmen, and many so-called poor men, who revel in luxuries beyond the power of those millionaires to reach. It is the mind that makes the body rich. There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else. Money can only be the useful drudge of things immeasurably higher than itself. Exalted beyond this, as it sometimes is, it remains Caliban still and still plays the beast. My aspirations take a higher flight. Mine be it to have contributed to the enlightenment and the joys of the mind, to the things of the spirit, to all that tends to bring into the lives of the toilers of Pittsburgh sweetness and light. I hold this the noblest possible use of wealth.[42]

?No man becomes rich unless he enriches others.?

-- Andrew Carnegie

Reply to
Baxter