Cast aluminum marked "G072"?

OK, so I needed to make a light, large hammer this weekend (maul for the "High-striker" used at our firemans' picnic). We went through the thought process of what kind of wood to use that wouldn't split like the old one had, and finally ended up with aluminum as our material of choice.

I had a chunk of cast aluminum just about the right size, but the only marking on it was stamped in, with "G072" (that's a G, clearly stamped into the casting). It was about 4.5" diameter, rough casting.

It turned _beautifully_, made it into a maul head 4.040" diameter by 7" long, mounted that to a ring made from 4.040" I.D. pipe with a length of tubing for a handle. Works great. But:

What the heck does "G072" mean in the context of cast aluminum? I didn't want to use it for something where it's characteristics were critical, so this was a perfect use for it. But, have I just wasted a really nice chunk of something exotic, or does that number mean nothing to anyone else also? For what it's worth, it turned beautifully and didn't have any porosities that I found.

...and it makes a hell of a hammer...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That was probably a part number rather than a alloy number. Most companies like to have a number so that they can track things, especially when there are several variations of a particular design.

Bob May

Maybe a stock or catalog number; it wasn't anything resembling a part, just a rough casting in the shape of a cylinder. The top of the pour was about 1/2" uneven.

Nice stuff, though. Should take some pics. I've now been asked to make a smaller/lighter one for the ladies' bell (oh, and a lower bell for the ladies).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you shrink a steel band on a wooden maul it won't split.

Reply to
Nick Hull

A google on G072 aluminum turned up a cylinder head for a 229 GM V-6 engine. Wonder if it's part of one of those that someone didn't get melted down all the way -- or perhaps it was partly melted in a fire?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Well, we thought that too; the old one did go for 50 years, but it finally gave up in a spectacular manner. We were trying to avoid splinters, and based on testing, this aluminum deforms and doesn't fragment at the forces involved.

Besides, it was more fun to make 5 gallons of swarf.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yup, that's the only thing I found that was even close-ish.

Nope, it's a clean casting. Probably a catalog number. Now a maul.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Billet!

I'll sneak away 'fore it hits.

Reply to
wws

You better move quick - some of those farm boys are _awfully_ big. We calibrated the thing with two of our biggest guys on the fire department. Between them they can hit it about 8 out of 10 times, which is about right. The goal is that if someone says it's impossible, we grab one of 'em, they ding it to show it's possible, and sell the guy more chances.

For the record, a drunk farmboy can make a hell of a dent in the turf when he misses with a hammer that size.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
RoyJ

We've been giving out beer, on the theory that cigars don't impair the ability to ring the bell.

Reply to
Dave Hinz