Casting question

I'm thinking about getting some parts made and I really don't know enough about the casting process to ask intelegent questions.

I've seen companies that will take a 3D solid model

->do magic and turn these into a wax form for lost wax casting.

I have access to a 3D printer that does PVC.

Can you use PVC directly as the "Wax" in a lost wax system?

What kind of wax is used for lost wax ? Can I cast my own wax in a PVC Mold to save some $$$? Or will it melt/deform the PVC model?

If I have created wax "masters" where can I go to have some stainless castings made?

what stainless materials are readily availible for casting?

On an object that is 14" high 7" in diameter and is basically a hollow tube how thin can I make the walls?

Is the limit the structural strength of the wax or the accuracy of the casting process?

What would 3 or 4 protoypes cost me? Assume a trumpet shaped tube 14" long and 7" max diameter, about 10 lbs of finished material.

Does the very act of asking these questions indicate I'm way out of my league and should just send the 3D model out to have it quoted.

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:41:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netburner.com wrote:

the casting process to ask

finished material.

============= Paul, perhaps it would be helpful to consider some alternative production methods, particularly for one-offs and prototypes.

Given the cube [14X8X8 net] of your part a 3d "plotter" will be expensive.

Three alternatives that come to mind are:

(1) flame/thermal spraying onto a onetime use form. "With all processes, the Substrate is not heated above (250°F), therefore no distortion takes place." Outside processing widely available, and the equipment is inexpensive enough for shop purchase/use with a little volume. Wide range of materials. Drawback is that the process is loud and tends to put dust everywhere.

(2) electro forming over a one time use form. Basically a very heavy electroplate. Threat a wax form with graphite or conductive paint to make conductive and plate. Depending on the material you may be able to do this yourself with a battery charger. Materials must be plateable. One drawback is that it is slow [translation expensive]
(3) an alternative material such as glass or carbon fiber laminate over a one time use form. Drawback is considerable skilled handiwork is required, and materials are toxic. Generally can be done in house for small volumes. Try your local marine supply as these are frequently used on boats [glass], also home built ultra-light and model aircraft [graphite/carbon]. With the proper selection of "wax" and matrix you can laminate over the form with no problems.
Good luck and let the group know what you come up with.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I wonder if metal spinning would not be a more appropriate technique for what you seek, when you ask "how thin" and then say trumpet shaped...

OTOH, I would guess that stainless is a bear to spin, if it has to be stainless.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

If these things resemble "tubes", why not just have them fabed up by somebody who can roll SS sheet? Seams can be welded. That way you can have walls that are pretty thin; think 40 thou or less and up to 1/2" or more. People who work "sheet metal" can certainly make your "trumpet", too.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

snipped-for-privacy@netburner.com wrote:

about the casting process to ask

finished material.

Reply to
spaco

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:41:32 -0800, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@netburner.com scrawled the following:

the casting process to ask

Drop by your local library and look for books on the subject. I was curious and found Tuck Langland's book _From Clay to Bronze_ enlightening.

-- Even with the best of maps and instruments, we can never fully chart our journeys. -- Gail Pool

Reply to
Larry Jaques