Question about CNC milling (and also about brass casting)

I'm thinking about how to make some ornate guitar roses, similar to this one:
http://www.maxwellplace.demon.co.uk/pandemonium/rose.jpg .
The original is cast brass but I'm wondering whether a CNC mill could be used to mill/carve the basic shape in a dense hard wood so I could then hand-finish the carving and gild it with gold leaf. Has anyone used a CNC mill for anything similar, or are there any CNC experts that could tell me how easy or hard a task this might be?
(Hidden agenda: this would also provide the excuse I've been looking for to buy a small CNC mill ;-) )
Alternatively, is there a sensible way to produce a brass casting to replicate the original?
Dave

Long short is yes it can be done.
Have a look here at some examples
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/gallery/aspire_gallery_wood.htm
That's the good news, bad news is it won't be a starter project and it won't cost 3 bob.
You are wanting to go into the realms of 3D carving and the software isn't cheap and the learning curve is even steeper.
John S.
On 20/06/2011 00:12, John S wrote:

Thanks John, the demo makes Aspire look reasonably OK to use but the price tag of well over 1k is probably more than I want to try and justify for casual use, especially on top of 2.6k for a KX1 (or 3.7k for a KX3). If there's nothing cheaper then I'll need to either think of more uses to justify the expense or go to someone else that is already set-up to offer a service.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 20:39:10 +0100, NoSpam wrote:

What about a lost wax casting?
--
Neil
Linux counter 335851
Neil Ellwood wrote:

That's what I was going to suggest and if the item in question can be removed then a mould can be made from that with various materials such as latex, silicon or alginate products. Alec Tiranti has a few options http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subcategory_list.asp?Content=Mouldmaking&Category=9
That will allow the wax pattern to be produced which can then be used for the lost wax casting process.
On 20/06/2011 12:54, Neil Ellwood wrote:

I don't know anything about casting so would probably get someone else to do that for me, but I'd still need to make a master because I can't get my hands on an original part.
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 06:54:08 -0500, Neil Ellwood

It's a hell of a job to get the tree to grow into the mould :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:39:29 +0100, Mark Rand

...but Mark, brass doesn't grow on trees <confused>
Regards, Tony

It will if you chuck enough muck at it.
Cliff.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:20:42 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

My dad told me that it was money that didn't grow on trees.
--
Neil
Linux counter 335851

It's even harder training the bees to deposit the wax where it's needed :-)
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:39:29 +0100, Mark Rand wrote:

You could always put it into a damp cupboard - we used to have one that grew mould.
--
Neil
Linux counter 335851

I've used it many times and it's capable of reproducing very fine detail. Here's a picture of a teddy bear pendant I cast in gold - it's about 30mm high. http://tinyurl.com/5sn72ma
You can purchase the system from just about any jeweller's tool suppliers; I got mine from Sutton Tools in Birmingham - see http://tinyurl.com/39tduzw
--
Regards, Gary Wooding

(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)NoSpam wrote:
On 22/06/2011 11:43, lemel_man wrote:

Thanks Gary, the video is interesting but I'm concerned that there are going to be a lot of failures before I can cast something that's 2-3 inches diameter with the level of detail I need. A gilded carving or a pro casting are probably the way to go.