Chainsaws !

I have exactly one chainsaw that I actually paid money for , and it's the one that gives me the most trouble ... most recently it's been wanting to wander in the cut and bind . Turns out Randy (the neighbor) was right , this time it's my fault - poor job of sharpening . I let the angle of the teeth get off on one side . Fortunately I have a file guide that helped me correct that and now it's cutting much better . Figgered while I was at it I should check the other 2 saws , and sure enough I need to do some cleanup on them too . Gotta get some wood put up for winter 2016-17 . I already have what should be enough for this coming winter from last summer/fall's cutting . I prefer to burn wood that's seasoned at least a year . Other projects include some progress on my 9:1 reduction gearset and building a device to weigh my bee hives . I have a 110lb dial scale set up on a lever system so I can weigh up to 330 lbs with it . 3 settings for 1:1 , 2:1 and 3:1 , though I don't expect to be using the X3 very often . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 8:09:04 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote: Gotta get some wood put up for winter 2016-17 . I already have what

-

Around here they have been clearing the right of ways of trees likely to c ause damage to power lines. And they cut the wood to fireplace lengths and leave the pieces next to the road. Cheaper and easier than hauling them o ff. Unfortunately most of this is on two lane roads with no place to park a truck while loading the wood. And a lot of the wood needs to be split i n order to easily load it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The trees near the power lines here never get a chance to get that big - many lines run cross-country thru the woods . The easements make a good place for the blackberries and wildflowers to grow , and great places to set up a deer stand ... The trees I'm harvesting are standing dead wood or diseased , hardest part is getting to them to haul the rounds out . I have a small trailer to pull behind my yard tractor now , going to make it easier . I stack 'em up in the woodlot and split as I get time and energy .

Reply to
Terry Coombs