Changing oil through dipstick tube

I know that it is best to use the drain plug, but there are times I hate crawling on the floor or sometimes it rains or in the winter it
is very cold.
I saw at sears an air operated oil extractor that has a ridgid dipstick tube. It can also remove transmission fluid without taking off the pan.
Would the life of a vehicle be shortened by using this method? By the way the item I looked at was made by Mity-Vac and held 8.8 liters. You use it with your air compressor.

I can't imagine getting all of the oil out using this method, and what about the oil in the oil filter and oil filter itself? Isn't the investment in your vehicle worth doing it right?
Transmission fluid? Same as above.
Lane
Lane sez: "and what about

Naw, you'd still have to change the filter. There used to be "quick change" places that used the dip-stick method.
Bob Swinney

investment in

| |Naw, you'd still have to change the filter. There used to be "quick change" |places that used the dip-stick method.
That method is the standard in the marine industry. Mobile oil suckers go along the docks and change your oil. Kinda hard to get to that drain plug on a marine engine. Rex in Fort Worth

My opinion? I wouldn't do it. When properly done, an engine should have the oil drained while hot, removing the drain plug, which should be the lowest point in the pan. That way large particles of "dirt" are flushed from the pan, making for a cleaner engine. On the other hand, if you're unable to crawl under the vehicle to do it that way, it's far better than not changing the oil. Most importantly, make sure you change the filter each time so it doesn't pack off and start bypassing.
Harold

Shouldn't any large particles of "dirt" be trapped by the filter?
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, y_p_w wrote:

Remove an oil pan from an engine that's had three or four of these dipstick tube oil "changes" sometime, then ask your question again...if you still have to.

As noted by another poster, marine engines routinely have the oil removed via the dipstick. Another poster found that the dipstick method was just as good as draining. And some models of Benz (and perhaps other makes) have no drain plug. You need to review your conclusions.
Chas Hurst

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.
You missed the part about Benz without drain plugs. Or more likely ignored it.

"Found"
How do you know that?

Really? Then you're either an idiot without the capability to use a set of ramps or a jack and stands, or you're too stupid to take it in and spend $20 and have it done by someone who can..... Your choice... which is it? Bob

oil
$20
I have a Benwil lift in my barn to do oil changes, and other work. Sorry, under the car is simply not an accessible area for most car owners. Now lets move onto those who have a physical impairment. Or those who have a mental impairment, such as you.

accessible.
of
lets
Mental impairment? Ummm... I'm not the one who called an oil drain plug inaccessible. Changing the damned engine oil is one of the easiest maintenance tasks a person can do. Bob
In reffrence to your post:
I've had to replace many engines in my time due to DIY'ers leaving the drain plug loose, the oil filter loose and even using the wrong oil filter.
For the common person, it is not the easiest thing to do on a car. Like plumbing in a new shit house is not the easiest thing to do in a house, for the average homeowner!
Refinish King

the
set
spend
Sorry,
mental

I can drain oil and change the filter on all three of my cars without even raising them. The filter is a bit tricky on the mazda, but I can still reach it and replace it from the top. I would say that merely being under the car has nothing to do with accessibility.
Chas Hurst wrote:

Oh Yea? I bought a lift 'cause I'm not sure if I'm gonna get up the next time I'm on a creeper. And ask your wife about that too.
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

From under the car.

Only in those rare but noteworthy cases where some mystic force field prevents you getting under the car with a wrench.

Yes, I ignored it.

A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare about at all.
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Chas Hurst wrote:

Do you think, Chas, that if you say it fifty or a hundred more times it will suddenly become true?
Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.
DS

Well, damn. I guess I've been doing my oil changes all wrong, then, by accessing the drain plug. I didn't know I was doing the impossible.
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:16:57 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@wopr.caltech.edu (Matthew Hunt) wrote:
| |> A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare about |> at all. | |Well, damn. I guess I've been doing my oil changes all wrong, then, |by accessing the drain plug. I didn't know I was doing the impossible.
I have Rhino Ramps for this. The only thing there is I get a little chicken driving up them. Have only done it once though.
Then I also have used hydraulic jacks and jack stands. PIA !
Now I have bought a Mityvac hand pump. I will try the hand pump. Read the following I got off a website at www.cartalk.com
The quick-oil-change dealer in my town has begun to siphon the oil from cars through the dipstick tube. He still changes the filter and the new oil looks clean. But it seems to me that debris could be left in the oil pan at the bottom of the engine, causing problems. What do you think? -- Keith
Ray: I don't think it's a problem at all, Keith. I think it's a great idea. It'll probably even remove some stuff that you wouldn't get out through the normal oil-change process.
Tom: Whichever method you use, you're only going to get about 95 percent of the old oil out. But that's good enough. And the advantage of sucking the oil out through the dipstick tube is that it eliminates the possibility that some knuckle-scraper at the quick-oil-change place is going to strip your oil pan by overtightening the drain plug.
Ray: Or not tightening the plug enough, and letting your oil drip out on the road as you drive home.
Tom: So as long as they change the filter, we're
Ray: Of course, they could accidentally suck out your transmission fluid! But we'll give them the benefit of the doubt of knowing which dipstick is which -- at least until we hear from our readers otherwise. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IOW, Ray & Tom think it is OK.
So, I will try it.
Lg