Changing oil through dipstick tube

Better yet do what I did on my Yanmar diesel in my boat. I drilled and tapped a pipe fitting in the pan then ran a hydraulic line up the side of the engine with a plug in the end. To change oil I could drop the line below the engine in the bilge with a coffee can or suck the oil out from above using that hydraluic line Randy.

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Yes, I always change the filter with the oil. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Accessible from where? Under the car is not accesible.

You missed the part about Benz without drain plugs. Or more likely ignored it.

How do you know that?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Really? Then you're either an idiot without the capability to use a set of ramps or a jack and stands, or you're too stupid to take it in and spend $20 and have it done by someone who can..... Your choice... which is it? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have a Benwil lift in my barn to do oil changes, and other work. Sorry, under the car is simply not an accessible area for most car owners. Now lets move onto those who have a physical impairment. Or those who have a mental impairment, such as you.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Larger particles that won't pass the screen are what I had in mind. You often find things in a pan when dismantling an engine, things that won't get as far as the filter. Needless to say, if the don't get picked up, they're likely to not be a problem anyway, but if you can flush them, that's not a bad thing, either.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I'm not necessarily advocating the dipstick method. I was just thinking that the filter should stop the large bits from reaching the sensitive areas of the engine, unless the oil pump comes before the filter. This of course assumes that the filter is changed before it gets clogged or falls apart. Someone who doesn't want to crawl under the car to drain a bolt likely won't want to change the filter either.

Reply to
y_p_w

I can drain oil and change the filter on all three of my cars without even raising them. The filter is a bit tricky on the mazda, but I can still reach it and replace it from the top. I would say that merely being under the car has nothing to do with accessibility.

Reply to
Brent P

Oh Yea? I bought a lift 'cause I'm not sure if I'm gonna get up the next time I'm on a creeper. And ask your wife about that too.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

True. I remember dropping the pan in of a GM Hydra-Matic, and it does make one heck of a mess. There's supposed to be a magnet attached to the inside of the pan. Having the pan off gives the opportunity to clean the magnet.

I like the Honda automatic transmission method. My '89 Integra (4-sp auto) had a 5.7 quart capacity, but would drain out 2.5 quarts. What I liked about it was:

  • No filter to be changed
  • The only tool needed is a 3/8" ratchet and/or cheater bar
  • The crush washer needed is the same size as the oil drain bolt.
  • The car doesn't need to be raised to reach this drain bolt.

Of course the tranny wasn't very smooth and tended to hunt for a gear, but that was before more sophisticated electronic controls were available. I hear the current Honda auto trannies have electronic controls and have gotten much smoother, yet have the same ease of maintenance.

Reply to
y_p_w

If that's the case, the whole question becomes moot, for the engine will grind itself to pieces before too many oil change intervals go by.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

From under the car.

Only in those rare but noteworthy cases where some mystic force field prevents you getting under the car with a wrench.

Yes, I ignored it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare about at all.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Do you think, Chas, that if you say it fifty or a hundred more times it will suddenly become true?

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well, damn. I guess I've been doing my oil changes all wrong, then, by accessing the drain plug. I didn't know I was doing the impossible.

Reply to
Matthew Hunt

|In article , |Chas Hurst wrote: | |> A drain plug under a car is not accessible. Nothing mystical or rare about |> at all. | |Well, damn. I guess I've been doing my oil changes all wrong, then, |by accessing the drain plug. I didn't know I was doing the impossible.

I have Rhino Ramps for this. The only thing there is I get a little chicken driving up them. Have only done it once though.

Then I also have used hydraulic jacks and jack stands. PIA !

Now I have bought a Mityvac hand pump. I will try the hand pump. Read the following I got off a website at

Dear Tom and Ray:

The quick-oil-change dealer in my town has begun to siphon the oil from cars through the dipstick tube. He still changes the filter and the new oil looks clean. But it seems to me that debris could be left in the oil pan at the bottom of the engine, causing problems. What do you think? -- Keith

Ray: I don't think it's a problem at all, Keith. I think it's a great idea. It'll probably even remove some stuff that you wouldn't get out through the normal oil-change process.

Tom: Whichever method you use, you're only going to get about 95 percent of the old oil out. But that's good enough. And the advantage of sucking the oil out through the dipstick tube is that it eliminates the possibility that some knuckle-scraper at the quick-oil-change place is going to strip your oil pan by overtightening the drain plug.

Ray: Or not tightening the plug enough, and letting your oil drip out on the road as you drive home.

Tom: So as long as they change the filter, we're

Ray: Of course, they could accidentally suck out your transmission fluid! But we'll give them the benefit of the doubt of knowing which dipstick is which -- at least until we hear from our readers otherwise.

IOW, Ray & Tom think it is OK.

So, I will try it.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

So is the suction hose hooked to the dipstick tube or is it small enough to be inserted through the tube down into the pan? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I wouldn't OWN an automatic with no filter. Talk about pre-planned obsolesence (failure). Sheesh.

Reply to
Steve

Only for someone too stupid to reach under and unscrew it!

Reply to
Steve

So is the radiator cap "not accessible" because its under a latched hood? I have this strange feeling like I'm in a 'Hitchhiker's Guide' book where something doesn't exist if nobody looks directly at it.

Reply to
Steve