Choosing a kitchen faucet

I'm looking for a new kitchen faucet, to replace the mistake I bought a year ago, that now leaks from a pinhole in the spout (which appears to be die metal).

Requirements:

Single lever, like original Delta.

All water-contact components either brass or stainless steel (excluding seals). This includes the spout.

Have a separate side sprayer. (I have a 4-hole stainless steel sink.)

Polished chrome finish.

Be large enough for the sink, but not huge (like those things used for granite counters).

What I've found so far:

American Standard "Reliance" model 4205.001.002.

Delta model 175-DST.

Moen Commercial model 8707 (can be had with 9" or 12" spout, but 12" seems too long).

Questions:

What experience do people have with these and/or competing faucets?

What similar products not listed are there?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I hear that. The new tin spouts are real dogs. If they don't break when you hang a plastic bag on them, they rust out.

I switched to brushed stainless and am happier. Less polishing.

My Pfister is 10" and isn't quite large enough for my double 15x15x8 brushed SS sink. I wish it were 12". Your mileage may vary.

A bit. What depth is your sink, how tall are the bottles and pans that you fill, etc.? Height and reach matter.

A few. ;) I haven't looked at any recently, other than the little import from Matco. It had a tin deck plate, but had a decent little brass spout. Not bad for $39. I think it was this one, a small model for an apartment sink.

(pricy here)

When I replace my current faucet, it will be with one of the tall farm style hooks, like this:

but without a sprayer. And for better performance on my well pump, I modify the aerators for better flow. I don't waste water, so I let it flow quickly.

Most sprayers made today are vacuum-deposited chrome covered plastic and truly suck. Try to find a heavy-duty metal model for longer life and better performance, or an old style bakelite sprayer. They last. I'm ready to replace my sprayer with a soap dispenser, as I seldom use the leaky plastic POS.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm partial to Moen and their lifetime guarantee, and they are about two miles up the street.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Wife prefers chrome.

I did find such a faucet, the Moen Commercial 8707, as mentioned above, but that's the only one I've found. On my sink, 12" would be very awkward, but 9" is just about perfect.

My kitchen sink has a single well, 21" by 16" by 8".

At about 18" high, this would look silly in my kitchen. Wife was very definite about this.

The other problem with such faucets is the leverage on the sheet-metal sink deck, which will bend, making the faucet feel floppy. These are really designed to work with a granite or solid-surface countertop.

If one uses such a faucet on a stainless steel sink deck, one must provide some kind of stiffener.

Also be aware that most sheet-metal sinks have 1.25" diameter holes, while many faucets intended for countertop mount require 1.5" (to accommodate the larger feed tubes needed to have adequate water flow). The Miseno farm style hook faucet mentioned above does seem to accommodate a 1.25" hole, so check if the water flow is adequate. The goal is 2.2 gallons per minute.

Well, I've had reasonable luck with those plastic sprayers. What usually kills them is lime accumulation, so I have to replace them every few years. A metal sprayer would be heavy, and wound still lime up.

Currently, the American Standard "Reliant" model 4205.001.002 is in the lead. One think I like is that it has the traditional hot and cold feeds at the outside of the base plate. This is how the current faucet is set up, simplifying installation. And, the presence of these brass tails more or less ensures that the base is all brass, and strong, thus stiffening the attachment to the sheet-metal sink deck.

Some faucets have these two brass tails, but have center feed, so they have the stiffeners, but feed pipes would need rearrangement.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Moen is my second choice. Two miles helps a lot, but no major faucet manufacturer is close to me (in the Boston area).

All the major producers have a lifetime guarantee for residential use, limited to five years for commercial use.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Whatever works!

How about setback? Mine's 3", so a 9" faucet would barely stick out half a foot. The curved bottom keeps half/1 gallon bottles from nesting well, so I need more reach.

Hence my "YMMV".

Perhaps.

Yeah, they're always changing -something- to make selection harder.

No, the goal is 6gpm. 1.5-2.2 just isn't enough to get dishwater quickly.

The newer, cheaparse, super-lightweight plastic sprayers are sheer crap, though.

I'm sold on single handle simplicity, and have been for decades now.

Yeah, and watch the connections. Some have newfangled push-ons with plastic clips which don't seat as well as they should.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Setback is 2.5". The 9" spout works well.

I've seen complaints in faucet reviews about this effect.

Hmm. I was not looking, but I have not found any ordinary kitchen faucet with anything like 6 gpm flow. One would think that this would be hard to control, hard to keep from soaking the entire kitchen, including the ceiling. Think garden hose.

Maybe faucets intended for commercial kitchens.

If the issue is quickly filling containers, maybe a better approach would be one of those wall-mount jointed pot-filling faucets.

Yep.

I have no direct experience, but I was suspicious of those plastic clips as well. Let someone else gain experience here. It's real expensive to have a clip blow off while you are away, so you return to a soaked house. Good luck suing the faucet company - they will claim installer error, and they have more lawyers than any civilian.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Your sink must have smaller radiused sides.

That was just a number I threw out there. I like at _least_ double the meager eco limit, please. I like to get my work done in a hurry so I can go back to living my Type B lifestyle. ;)

Nah, garden hose is more like 10gpm. But overspray is probable with good flow.

My thoughts exactly.

Ain't that the truth.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't know, but running into the radiused sides has not been a problem, even with the current 8.5" spout. The replacement faucet spout is about an inch longer.

The current faucet is rated for 1.8 gpm. The new one will be rated for

2.2 gpm, 22% more.

The eco limit appears to be 1.5 gpm, but that's a different part number (the difference may be in the aerator). Perhaps it's required in California.

I put too much faucet on one hemispherical bathroom washbasin. If one isn't cautious, one gets an unexpected face wash. It's easy to open those quarter-turn ceramic-disk valves all the way, in one fluid motion.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I did not know that. When we renovated the condo 6 years ago we used a mix of Moen and Delta. No problems with any yet except the soap pump in the kitchen sink needs lube every few months. Moen only has their offices here, I don't know where they have parts. I have always just bought parts for Moan rather than get them under warranty and it's always the cartridge.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

When they do act up it's just a matter of replacing the cartridge in 5 minutes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner