Tab Washer

I finally got around to putting the (new to me) quill back together so I can take the Hurco mill back to its original configuration. Seemed like one
thing after another. Been busy with customers and family of course, and then when I had everything (I thought) read to assemble the push tube on my 12 ton press decided to collapse. I can't complain. I bought it used 15 years ago from my dad when he upgraded to a 20 ton. I got a lot of use out of it. I figured what the heck. Time for me to upgrade as well. Nobody had one in stock locally. I ordered one a few weeks ago. They keep giving me excuses, but no press. Finally, I got tired of waiting and repaired my 12 ton with a solid rod instead of the hollow pipe it had before. I also added a reinforcing plate that guides my push rod a little better than the original setup. Should last a few more years, and who knows, my new 20 ton might show up some day.
Anyway, I put the quill back together today and noted that the locking tab washer that holds the retaining nut in place is chewed off. The inner tab is almost totally gone. I suppose I can cut one, but I don't think I have any sheet as strong as the steel used for that washer. I figured I'ld buy one. Only thing is I haven't a clue where. I tried McMaster, but either they don't have any, or I don't know what they call it.
Picture: http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/index.php?action=gallery ;sa=view;pic=9
Now, to go rummage around in the shop and see what I have that might do.
On 12/12/14 22:10, Bob La Londe wrote:

For a starting place I would look at skf.com and "locking washers" . They're a standard commodity item and unless yours are special should be readily available off the shelf. Have a look at what is available there and report back, if they can't provide what you want.

Bearing Lock Washer looks like the term I need to search for. Looks like a Timken TW106 might do the job.

Motion Industries and Fastenal both list it. Neither seems to have on-line store inventory anymore.

I don't know that they have it, but try VXB.com. I get a lot of one-offs and oddball bearing stuff from them.
Lloyd
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:10:03 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Is there any chance you can weld or braze a tab inside the ring? Or have a local shop do so?
--
jiw

Bob IS "the local shop". <G>
Yeah. I imagine he could do that; but I'm guessing that, like me, he'd rather put an authentic replacement on it than bodge something together.
Lloyd

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lloyd. Actually, I had drawn it up in CB already and was planning to cut one out on the Charter Oak mill, but I couldn't find anything in the shop I trusted to make the part except a piece of spring steel sheet I am saving for another project. I have several pieces of steel I could have made the part out of including old alarm boxes, but all of it is too soft in my opinion for the application. I suppose I could have cut it out of something and case hardened it with some cherry red, but then it was starting to look like way to much of a project for a washer. LOL. I ordered a TW106 from the local Motion Industries store. They say it should be here Tuesday, but it was almost closing time. I bet it won't be here until Wednesday.
Things could get interesting in the next few months. I'm finally going to start building my hybrid machines over the holidays if I get the Hurco back in service in its original configuration. I need the 13"+ Y of the Hurco to do some stuff, and the 27"+ X of the Charter Oak machine to do some of the other stuff. My design has changed dramatically since I first drew it up.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:50:03 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Why not take 1 piece of sheet steel and 1 plasma cutter, then go to town. That shouldn't take long at all. Put a nail through it for the diameter cuts, then hack out the crenellations.
BTW, Bob, that's the key word, crenellated. What diameter? You might find one at an auto parts store. I used to see them as front axle bearing retainers _many_ moons ago.
--

Some people have the vocabulary to sum up things in a way you can
understand them. This quote came from the Czech Republic . Someone

Sadly a plasma cutter is still on my wish list. I could cut it out on one of the mills, but I didn't have sheet on hand I trusted to hold up. I know I could have case hardened just about anything, but then it became an awfully involved project for just a washer. Once I found out what to call it I didn't have to much time finding one in a Timken part number. Fastenal and Motion industries both listed the part number on their website so I stopped by the local stores. The guys at Motion Industries said I should have it by Tuesday (but I am betting on Wendesday) so I just ordered one and moved on to other projects.

I have not seen one used on a wheel bearing, but that's not a bad idea. I may try an auto parts store next time around. Variants of them are common on boat props.
Hey Bob,
Commonly called a "WO-#" washer and goes with an "NO-#" nut. Example would be a "WO-5" washer goes with an "NO-5" nut. Really cheap to buy either/both new at any bearing supply store.
Here's a chart to find your size:
http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_idH
Take care.
Brian Lawson.