Cleaning an old grimy tap with a wire brush

Great,

When I retire, I will think the same way.

Well, I dropped them off, I will post an update on it.

Ignoramus25765

Something else to keep in mind for future reference: Most people just sharpen the chamfer on the cutting end of a *straight* tap. That's easy -- you do it from the outside, not the inside of the gullets. They'll do that three or four times before going after the gullets.

But I try to sharpen them all the way up, because I do them by hand, and I'd rather keep them very sharp all the way along the edge so I never have much metal to remove.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I thought you guys in CA placed dull tools in a pyramid?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The brushes remove loctite or such. Then the bolts have to be re-certified before being put back in service. These bolts are thousands of dollars each and aren't allowed to be touched by anything steel. They aproched me to find a solution and they loved the method I came up with! I got to talk to some of the engineers that build the Blackhawks and they sent me some pictures and tech specs that were redacted...how cool is THAT!

Reply to
Tom Gardner