Cleaning Jag Dimensions

I broke the cheesy nylon .44-.45 cleaning jag I'd been using for too long. Anybody got favorite dimensions for jags, like diameter and land width? Measuring mine shows about .035" under bore diameter, more or less. I already made one, pretty easy out of 1/2" brass. I just drilled and tapped for a #8-32 machine screw, loctited in place, then I'll cut off the head once it sets. That ought to be stronger than the turned brass ones, let alone nylon.

Tipton jags are reduced diameter in steps after the first land, presumably to provide more clearance for the additional material in the outer diameter of the patch. They also make nickel plated ones for use with copper solvent. I'm toying with that idea. Maybe electroless nickel from Brownell's or Caswell. Anybody tried the plated ones? Presumably nickel is soft enough to not damage the bore.

You can tell you're retired when you make something you could buy for $4.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

When you shoot a .62, buying a jag for 4 bucks is not an option.

Wes

Wes

Nickel is not soft. I plate my jags with tin, also from Caswell.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Good point, Don. Turns out, electroless nickel can be damned hard. I'll check Caswell's for the tin. Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

The ones I like are brass and Kleen-Bore brand. Have a nice spike on the end to hold the patch centered and plenty of grooves to move it. The shotgun ones are aluminum but still move lead out of the grooves (slug barrels). Anyway, if you can locate those, it'll be a lot easier than trying to turn up some. You don't want hard, either, unless you want to kiss goodbye to your rifling. Nickel is hard stuff. See:

You can't make them for that, not unless your time's worth nothing and you'd be dead then.

Stan

Reply to
stans4