Clever Company Names

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Spehro Pefhany wrote on Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:48:22

-0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Or the Storeroom.

I used to pass "The Other Place" in Portland when I lived there.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
phamp

"The Other Place" was a fabric/clothing/fashion type store attached to the local supermarket ("The B&C") in the Northern Michigan town where I grew up.

Reply to
Don Bruder

According to Larry Jaques :

[ ... ]

"Roaches Run Picnic" Area (In Virginia on the way to Washington DC) -- not sure whether it is still there. In VA, a "run" is a creek.

"My Jung Dong" (Vietnamese food, I think)

Sign at the entrance to the Gem store in Alexandria VA many years ago:

"Shoes and Shirts must be worn to be allowed in store"

(So -- where do I have to go to get *new* shoes and shirts? :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 8 Sep 2006 00:50:00 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

If it's shirts you want, me boy, look here:

and
.

We ship daily and take Paypal. ;)

- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius ---

Comprehensive Website Programming Services

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In Stratford-upon-Avon (of Shakespeare fame) here in UK there are three classical theatres: The RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company), next door to which is "The Swan", and further down the road, "The Other Place", or TOP as it is sometimes known.

Reply to
lemel_man

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I really hate to belabor a point, but as a former Boulder resident I want to set the record straight. The man's name was Alferd Packer, and it truly is a Colorado story.

Details:

the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Good quality T-shirts too!

Gunner, a proud wearer of Larry's T-shirts.

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

One of my favorites is on a bar, IIRC in Atlanta, GA.

"He Ain't Here"

Reply to
Clif Holland

There's a restaurant in Florida named "Starvin' Marvins."

Elton

Reply to
Elton

That's a chain, several here in DFW last I looked

motto:

"Food so good you'll slap yo mama!"

Reply to
Rex B

A liquid fertilizer (decomposed manure) application business that was comprised of a tanker with a pump and spray booms, Steve and Harvey's Interfield Transport Co. The fun is in the acronym. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn Skinny Dick's has been here almost forever. It's the welcoming landmark for travelers heading north to Fairbanks as well as bidding farewell to those heading south..

jerry

I just remembered how we laughed the first time we purchased some food from a CLUCK-U chicken shop:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Stiff Nipples Air Conditioning

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

One of my favourites here in the UK is a draught beer distributor who calls himself

The Beer Seller

(just in case this doesn't translate, most English pubs keep their beer in what I think you'd call a basement and we call a cellar).

Reply to
Newshound

Ahhh, of course! They'd NEVER allow such an operation in the prudish US!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That sounds like St. Louis! But, it wouldn't take a great genius to think this one up, either, so there could be a few of them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

"Tom Wait" wrote: (clip) The fun is in the acronym. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ SAHITC? ;-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Oh, now you've started it! One of the reference librarians at the St. Louis public library started a legendary collection of names.

Some of the greats :

Charity Fulilove, Faithful Love, Sincere Love, Wonderful Love, Conception Love and Love Satisfied.

Christian Bible

Mush & Sons - vegetable sellers

Will Crumble & Son - plasterers

Dr. M. D. Bonebrake

Forrest Land - realtor

Loser & Loser - law firm!

Lt. Jennings Furlough

King Tut, Pool Hall, Neva Raines, Roy L. Royalty

A Ms. Olive Green married to become Mrs. Olive Branch

Quovadis McField

Instant Gilbert

Summers Long

Two Gun Carter

Rose Busch, Rose Budd

Rollin Stone, Rowdy Group

Fannie Plenty

Leland Hilligoss is the collector of these, and many more. All this from an article on page 3D of the St. Louis Post Dispatch on Aug 9,

1976, if you want to look it up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson