hydraulics; leaking?

I recently obtained a 2nd-hand wesco hydraulic lift. I was warned by the owner that it must be kept vertical, otherwise the hydraulic fluid would leak out?

But-- on long trips to wherever it is that I need this cart to move something, in a pickup truck, it doesn't make any sense to stand it vertically! If I even can, when taking the SUV.

Is this a real risk? Would 6-12 hours be OK? Anything I can do to seal the hydraulics better, or is it easy to replace the fluid myself after a long trip?

thanks!!

-Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Arnest

Typically the reservoir has a rubber fill plug that can leak if tipped.

You could rig it to not leak, but it does need to breathe when operating.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I have a similar platform lift made locally that doesn't leak when on its back in the pickup truck. I added larger stainless steel wheels to roll on dirt and a pair of platform stop pins at the top of the rails to keep the platform in place when it's on its back in the truck.

To get it into the truck I raise the platform to the top, against the stop pins, and tilt it back to rest the push handle on the tailgate. The platform counterbalances the base well enough that I can pick up the feet and slide the lift into the bed.

If you are concerned about leaks, lay it down over cardboard and watch for oil spots. If air bubbles in the pump make it work unevenly you can raise and fully lower the platform to clear them out.

I use it to work on outdoor equipment like my garden tractor and for welding. Definitely worth the $10 it cost at an auction and $40 for new seals.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins