Consumer electronics "war stories"

Mine is from our first dishwasher. You're the only other person I know who has a Dunlop jigsaw. I still have to make a blade guide for it. The old one plumb wore out, and I haven't used it for at least ten years.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Re the laundry tubs; have you ever taken a bath in a concrete bath tub? In 1946 my maternal grandfather came to live with us, he missed his big city bathtub and disliked the Saturday night ritual in the round, galvanized laundry tub so he built forms and cast his own concrete bath tub -full size with three inch walls - took eight men to move one. Idon't know if there are any left - he cast about a dozen for neighbours - our developed a crack when it was moved from behind the kitchen stove into the new fangled indoor bathroom in 1960 and was replaced with a more modern unit. That tub taught me to appreciate the rubber bath mat!

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Thankfully, NO!

I can imagine.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, they are, but they're also a whole lot more effective than the spin cycles on the majority of new washers. The downside is that they press in creases in some materials. BTDT, got the wrinkles and pinched fingers. I do _not_ miss working at the car wash where that beastie was housed.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you're a smart manufacturer, you offer one at each price point. Maytag vs Magic Chef brands from the same mfgr. The only problem is that they apparently stopped putting the good stuff in Maytags, too, but didn't drop the prices.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, I don't remember! I had them out a couple months ago to get a quarter out of the drain pump, and I kind of thought it had the pole shade winding, but now I can't be sure. But, the pumps need to spin in the right direction, and with only one winding, I can't imagine how it could start for sure in the right direction wothout a shaded pole. Well, Likely I'll be back into the thing for some issue or other in a while, and I'll take a better look at them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I made a blade guide/hold down foot from a die cast, floor mount door stop.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Now, THAT's using what ya' got. Mine has a rubber bushing in the overarm which, I think, used to hold the hold-down. My fingers are my hold-down.

I got mine for free when an old guy I knew was cleaning out his basement. It's cut a lot of wood.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I paid $i.25 for mine at a church men's club auction in 1970 it has bee the first power tool for thee boys. I used jewelers blades quite often to cut up to 1/8" steel. I did replace the bushings several years ago.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

hat went bad was being asked to do something out of spec.

anical relays. I've never had a failure of an SSR, and you can get them wit h built in snubbers and zero-cross switching. One would think it would be c heaper to mass produce SSRs vs mechanicals.

Ease up, dude. Jon did NOT mention mechanical failure. He DID mention that the contacts were burned badly.

Now, as for the fifty-cent vs five-dollar decision, by the time the washer hits a retail store, the price difference might be $1,000 vs $1,020. I KNOW that given the choice, I'd spend the extra twenty bucks. Larry J. mentione d that in the next post.

Reply to
rangerssuck

That makes sense, but what if there are 6 such items . Then in the retail store the price difference might be $1000 vs $1120. Tougher choice.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

O.K. A question. Did you mean $1.25 (what it sort of looks like), or perhaps $8.25 or $9.25 (the two number keys closest to the 'i' key? (Assuming a normal QWERTY keyboard.)

Enjoy DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sorry bout that, it was $1.25

Reply to
geraldrmiller

her >hits a retail store, the price difference might be $1,000 vs $1,020. I KNOW

ned >that in the next post.

l store the price difference might be $1000 vs $1120. Tougher choice.

True, but then again, I doubt major manufacturers are paying anywhere near five bucks for solid state relays in the sizes and quantities they would co nsume. But still, a 10% or 15% premium for the appliance that's going to la st longer seems pretty reasonable.

A few years back, I bought 100 seagate barracuda drives. They started faili ng soon after installation, and at an alarming rate (I have since replaced every one of them), Several frustrating calls to Seagate got me no further than "they're under warranty, so return them and we'll ship you refurbs." I told them that I wasn't interested in a like-for-like replacement, as the new ones were just as likely to be bad as well. It's not the cost of the dr ive, it's the cost of travelling to the customer to replace it. let alone t he lost faith the customer has in my product. The best they could suggest w as buying enterprise level drives which had a longer warranty, but no promi se that they were less likely to fail during the warranty period. I would g ladly pay double, triple or even quadruple the price for had drives that ar e built to last. Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi and Western Digital all told me t hat they don't have such a product because their marketing people didn't re cognize a need for them, and "If it dies under warranty, we'll ship you a r efurb." Feh.

Reply to
rangerssuck

True, but then again, I doubt major manufacturers are paying anywhere near five bucks for solid state relays in the sizes and quantities they would consume. But still, a 10% or 15% premium for the appliance that's going to last longer seems pretty reasonable.

=============================

"Relays with contacts that contain cadmium are still exempt from the RoHS directive. However, due to its general corporate policy, Panasonic no longer offers any relays whose contacts contain cadmium."

"This contradicts earlier advice and is based on the switching qualities of AgCdO which cannot be matched by other materials. In some cases performance might otherwise be less than half that offered by this particular compound."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It could be worse. At least, their techs get the dead unit to analyze, and its flaws might inform the next generation hardware design.

Reply to
whit3rd

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oh yeah, that story reads very similar to mine, except that I am a one (som etimes two or three) man shop, and my customers (and their drives) are spre ad out over the NY metropolitan area. When one of these drives fails, and I have to go to the friggin' Empire State Building to replace it, the warran ty coverage on a hundred dollar drive doesn't matter even a little bit.

I now only install systems in raidz3 configuration. That allows three drive s to fail before data is lost, and I get alarms when the first drive fails. Further, I buy from multiple sources to help avoid having drives in a sing le unit from the same manufacturing run.

It aint perfect, it never will be, but it's as close as I can reasonably ge t.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Oh yeah, that story reads very similar to mine, except that I am a one (sometimes two or three) man shop, and my customers (and their drives) are spread out over the NY metropolitan area. When one of these drives fails, and I have to go to the friggin' Empire State Building to replace it, the warranty coverage on a hundred dollar drive doesn't matter even a little bit.

I now only install systems in raidz3 configuration. That allows three drives to fail before data is lost, and I get alarms when the first drive fails. Further, I buy from multiple sources to help avoid having drives in a single unit from the same manufacturing run.

It aint perfect, it never will be, but it's as close as I can reasonably get.

They say the 4, 5, 6 and 8GB Seagates are looking good so far:

"Seagate has gotten some bad press in the past from these reports, but the final graph shown at the BackBlaze site tells us that as they replace the older drives and put in newer, higher capacity ones, the Seagate performance has risen above Western Digital slightly. Backblaze is particularly pleased with their 6TB Seagate drives."

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins