Source for a copy of "Fourteen U.S. Army Missiles of the Cold War"?

Hi Folks: I'd like to buy a copy of "Fourteen U.S. Army Missiles of the Cold War" but NARTS is out of stock. I don't think Peter has any more. I've checked a lot of online vendors with no luck. Do you know of a copy for sale? Thanks and happy holidays!

Reply to
Will Marchant

I contacted Peter a few months back about this book. He said he has plans to re-release it; no timeframe though. Hopefully that will happen; I'd like a copy too.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Oliver

Here's the story--I prepared the booklet with Chris Timm's help on the research end several years ago. It exists as camera-ready hardcopy with "photomechanical" halftones. This is the format that produced the best results for photo reproductions in the days of stat cameras and analog photocopiers. I always used the very best photocopier at the one copy/print shop that both cared about quality and let the customers touch the good machines.

Then one day, the good analog machines were gone, replaced with very nice digital machines. The problem is that the digital copies of the halftones give a horrible moire/herringbone pattern, as the sampling frequency of the scanner interferes with the frequency of dots in the halftone. This has rendered the masters for "Fourteen US Army Missiles," "In the Shadow of the V-2" and the 2000 Supplement to "Rockets of the world" unusable.

To reprint any of those, I need to recreate them as digital documents. That seems easy enough, except for these issues:

1) The text layout of these booklets is in obsolete "Ready-Set-Go" software. I no longer have a computer that will even run it. So I have to scan and OCR or retype all the text

2) The artwork for these booklets is in MacDraw, which I now have to convert to a Pict and then into a grossly oversized GIF format that will scale back into a high-resoloution drawing. In some cases, there are drawings that slipped through the backup cracks when my old computers died, and those have to be completely re-drawn.

3) All photos have to be scanned. However, in a few cases, those photos were borrowed. I have to either scan the halftones (at extremeley high resolution to alow removal of the dot patterns with filtering, but without introducing moire), or search out replacements.

4) I heve been severly distracted from Saturn Press by other matters, and I'm franlkly rather burned out on Saturn Press. I am shamefully behind on filling orders. I shouldn't be spending this time online, frankly--My priorities have to be: Fill orders, get new products out, and very last, reconstruct old products. And as far as reconstruction old products goes, I suspect that I should put a higher priority on "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry."

I will only commit to one thing--I will have something new or a new edition of something old at NARAM. Because if I don't, I won't be able to afford to go. With any luck it will be something that gets me geeked up enought to get another item done.

Peter Alway

Reply to
petealway

Peter, R-S-G is still around!!!!

- Dale Windsor ex-graphic wonk

Reply to
dalewindsor

And for converting MacDraw files

- Dale Windsor

Reply to
dalewindsor

I'll just point out that the problem isn't technical impossiblity--I have the technology and techniques to convert these booklets over. The problem is one of my time, priorities, and distractions from other parts of my life.

Reply to
petealway

Reply to
Will Marchant