Limitations of 30 day eval?

I am about to introduce my company to Solidworks. What are the limitations of the 30 day evaluation copy? I had planned on getting the eval from my VAR, then doing a very small prototype project in it to show them how cool Solidworks is.

Can I then re-use this work in the real version when I convince them (hopefully) to buy it? Are there any limitations on the eval copy I should be aware of? Can I open old models I created a couple of years ago in the eval version to show them some *real* models?

Thanks, Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

As I understand it the copy is initially for between 30 to

90 days. Your VAR is flexible on this. If a model id madw with the eval copy it can be opened in the Solidworks program. On the otherhand, if something is drawn with the standard Solidworks package, and then opened in an eval. copy it cannot be reopened in the Stnadard program. Furthermore, any drawing done, or opened in the eval. copy will have a watermark on it, and will not save.
Reply to
Dennis

Thanks for the reply, Dennis. Well that sucks - but to be honest, I wasn't really expecting any different from SW. ;o)

That's too bad because I have some older parts I would like to incorporate into this initial prototype demo, but it sounds like if I save it in the demo version it will be hosed for later on. Any new work will be usable, but there is no way for me to re-use my old work. I'll have to redraw it all if I want to make changes, and expect to use them with the full version of the software when we buy it later.

What the VAR's *should* do is give you a full version with a hardware dongle for the evaluation period. It would make more sense, in my opinion. They wouldn't be limiting future customers, and it also gives them an excuse to drop in later and check up on the prospective client. Kind like George leaving behind his fake sable hat.

"Co-o-o--stan-za!"

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Cool compared to what? What sort of things are they designing?

Reply to
TheTick

That's the thing...they aren't. ;o) We design ultra-miniature DSP's, and they are actually thinking about trying their hand at a reference design (I'm not allowed to say of what...) including the mechanical. Up until now it has usually been design around whatever packaging you can buy off the shelf.

I'm a mechanical engineer - turned full-time time software-developer. Word got around I used to do this in a previous life...long story short...I'll be showing off my Solidworks skills soon. ;o)

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Just save copies of your older work that you don't open in the eval version.

Dave H

Markus Wankus wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

IF components created in standard SolidWorks, then opened in the Eval version CANNOT thereafter be opened in standards SolidWorks (definitely sounds weird and quite illogical to me) there should be an easy workaround. Just make copies of the original components to be used with the evaluation software and DON'T rename those copies. Keep track of their names and also don't modify them in any manner. If they need modification just make the parts anew in the eval software with the necessary changes. Then when/if your company buys the software any files you can't open can be replaced by the original files that have never been opened by the eval software.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet> Thanks for the reply, Dennis. Well that sucks - but to be honest, I

Reply to
Sporkman

Yes - obviously I'll keep copies of the old stuff around. Hopefully none of the old files need to be changed before the full version has got the thumbs-up. ;o)

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Markus,

Unless they have changed things within the last release or so, Eval copies do not have any watermark. An eval copy, in the past, was simply a seat of solidworks with no reg code.

The only limitation i knew of was you could not open any files 30 days old or older. Once you bought solidworks, you could then open any file and use them (even the ones you created with the eval).

I know the student edition of SW does have a watermark, and same with "personal edition". But evals do not have the watermark (unless, like i said before, they changed it).

Hope this helps...

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Thanks Todd...that sounds more like what I was expecting (hoping for?). We'll see in a couple days, I guess.

Mark.

Reply to
Markus Wankus