Christmas Lights

Lord... take me now...

Icicle lights...

About 22 miles of them...

Approximately 50% are working....

But, I'm the "techy" so somehow this is my problem...

Why do they give you, like, three replacement blinkers, and one regular white light bulb? I NEED REGULAR WHITE LIGHT BULBS!!!

And those weensy fuses. Now, I've _never_ blown a fuse in a string of lights. Fried shunts? Why yes! I've got about a hundred of them If anyone needs weensy fuses, send me a SASE... Maybe we can use them as ignitors...

And the EMF "bad light bulb detector"? Don't bother. Brute force is the only way to deal with these honeys. Potential bad bulb out, good bulb in, no light, original bulb back in, and on to the next one.

Gawd, Scrooge would've had a coronary if they had Electric Christmas Lights back then...

Tod "Deck your bowels with balls of holly!" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

Yummy! Great with your favorite hot sauce!

                 __&__         /     \       |       |      |  (o)(o)      C   .---_)      | |.___|       |  \__/        /_____\       _____ \     /         \      Mmmmmmm....shunts....arghhhghhhhhghhh...
Reply to
Greg Heilers

Tod, funny post, but could I kindly ask that you put OT in front of the subject line when you post humor rather than rocket material? This is a rocket newsgroup, not a joke mailing list.

(I use christmas lights for my ejection charges, so I read most of your post before I realized it was not a rocket post...)

Reply to
David

You need some christmas lights for ejection charges?

You SAY, you need SOME CHRISTMAS LIGHTS FOR EJECTION CHARGES?!!!

WELL BUDDY, I GOTS A WHOOLLLLE STRING OF 'EM RIGHT FRICKIN' HERE!!!!

Yes, of course David, I'll do that, my bad. Sometimes, when the rocket related posts are kinda light, I tend to inject something totally off the wall in order to draw attention away from the politics, rhetoric, mudslinging, etc.

'Tis the Holiday Season, an' all...

Tod "LEDS! that's the answer LEDS!" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

Herr Hilty;

Doeth though go spritzen and sparken vile ze attempts to fixen der lighten bulbs?

If das is der casen den Ve say Ba Humbug and der lightens fer der zeason!

Der Burgermeister Meisterburger.

Reply to
nitram578

Yep, and unless you purchased you lights all at the same time and of the same brand, you end up with spares that aren't cross-compatible. I went through this a lot last year (mainly due to some brat vandalising my lights), and it seems like almost every string of mini-lights has some slight variation in the bulb/socket design. And good luck trying to _buy_ spare bulbs that fit, since there's virtually no standardization!

Reply to
raydunakin

I've seen strings of LED Christmas lights but so far they're just short strings, not very impressive, and a bit pricey. Maybe in a few years though, they'll become a practical alternative to the regular mini-lights. At least I hope so -- they'd last a lot longer and would be a lot more energy efficient.

=EA

Reply to
raydunakin

Hmmmmm....one *could* make their own, using fiber-optic material. Has anyone ever done that?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Pish and tosh!!! A real do-it-yourselfer makes their OWN fiber-optic material!!!

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Which is another joke.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Most of the string we have have socket designes that *are* interchangable, but the specs for the bulbs vary. We have gobs that are non-shunted, and many with a varying number of wraps of shunt wire, which I presume would be to vary the resistance based on the number of bulbs.

Hmmm... Maybe a computerized version in which each bulb reports back to a CPU... kinda like the computer in your car.

System Error! Bulb Number 14 in String 6 is reporting no continuity!

I thnk next year, I'll just build a Tesla coil, put it in the front yard, fire it up, and leave it at that...

Tod "Screwing up TV reception since 1976!" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

OMG! ROFL!

I just found this... look at the one called "The Strip"!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

I bet that would "light up" all the ornaments on your Christmas tree, and I don't mean the lights.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I think the caption says it all.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Yeah David, the world's gonna end because someone posted something funny. Heaven forbid.

Reply to
Dan Cox

You should be able to buy just the glass bulb itself without the plastic part. You take the old bulb out and thread the leads of the replacement into the old socket. Personally Like the C7 size lights, the old fashioned large sized 5 watt jobs. They look like outdoor lights should imho.

Reply to
Dan Cox

Unfortunately the brats who were vandalizing my lights often stole the bulb and base out of the sockets, which meant trying to find replacements. If a light's broken it usually doesn't affect the rest of the string, but if one is missing the whole string goes out.

Reply to
raydunakin

Blasted bulbs - just buy another $4.99 light set and throw the old string away. As a person that spent almost the entire day Sunday hanging Christmas lights, I can see a real need for a new product... "Spray on" Christmas lights. Spray them on in December, hose 'em off in January..

Reply to
Todd

snip

After setting it all up Saturday and then finding it in the floor this morning, ( don't know what happened) I think we're going to decorate an empty bedroom as the Christmas Room. I'll set it up once, do all the traditional stuff there and when all is said and done, close the door and leave it all up until next year.

Oy Vey!

Randy

<randyolb

I hope You got a spare room left for Easter!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis