Cracked bucket seat skeleton

Have you ever started a borrowed AC stick welder, clamped an anonymous electrode from the assortment into it, and just made weld after weld, joining thin sheet metal with lovely strong beads?

Me, neither.

It's the driverside bucket seat of my trusty Tbird; it leaned, the lean got worse then there was a snap. It comes apart, with some work, and the culprit is an internal frame for the backrest, that has twisted, torn, cracked, and busted a few spotwelds. OK, more than a few.

Hammer, tongs, ugly stickwelds follow. Then I grab some silver solder and, using a carbon electrode, do the arc-heater trick. That works better than straight welding. And the electrodes come free in defunct Radio Shack D cells.

Now for the hard part: as long as it was thin sheet, my so-called 'skills' got me at least a few good joins. But the hinge plate is thick, and there's no way to get a good weld seam before I burn through the thinner shell it affixes to. And the thin shell isn't accessible from both sides, so I can't hammer it flat to get it to mate to the plate well enough for plausible hard-solder. Am I missing any good techniques? New or junkyard seat is a hundred or five, if I can find it for an '83 Ford at all.

Maybe I can rivet a patch over the worst cracks and bolt the hinge plate to the patch?

Reply to
whit3rd

There are a lot of us " we love to fix anything " types here. What we need is a picture or 2 so our brain cells can work on it. This type of thing is solvable if its in the hand so to speak!!. Look forward to some pics.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Thick-to-thin is easy to do with TIG, and can be done with MIG if the difference in thickness isn't more than 3:1 or so. A welding shop or someone who has the right kit could do it in just a few minutes.

Reply to
Don Foreman
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Just beware of posting the images to the newsgroup. The proper thing it to put them on a web site, and just post the URL to the site.

If you don't have one of your own, try using the "dropbox". (Visit

and click on "Using the Dropbox" for instructions, then once it is there (and confirmed), post the URL here.

Try to avoid spaces in filenames, as they will be automatically converted to underscores '_' to avoid problems with some systems.

Posting images directly to the newsgroup will offend some (as it is against the charter and against standards for any discussion newsgroup (any without "binaries" in the newsgroup name), and perhaps more importantly to you, it will be stripped out automatically by some of the news servers, so not everyone who wants to see it will be able to see it -- thus reducing the suggestions you will get.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
JR North

Gas weld it, or if that is a problem braze it. Not to be sarcastic but after reading your post, above, it might actually be cheaper in time or money to prep it (grind everything clean, align, clamp, etc., and take it to a welding shop. Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce