Crosspost: Jet Cabinet Saw Problem

I thought I would post this here because I got no response in the rec.woodworking group.

I currently own a JWCS-10 Jet cabinet saw which is about 10 years old now. Over the past year or so I have noticed that when making a long rip cut, the blade, from time to time seems to have a momentary oscillation (more like a shudder) that lasts a fraction of a second then stops. This is just enough to cause a ragged section in a long cut. This happens regardless of the blade I am using, the wood species, or the speed that I advance the wood into the cut. I am beginning to think that the ball bearings that hold the blade arbor are beginning to go bad. Anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions for isolating the problem?

TIA

Ken Veto

Reply to
Ken Veto

  1. Remove the belts from the motor to the arbor
  2. Spin the arbor manually - feel for roughness, kinks, etc.
  3. Spin the motor shaft - feel for roughness, kinks, etc.
  4. Replace arbor bearings
  5. Rinse and repeat.
Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

In my experience, assuming the bearings are still tight, this is almost always caused by "ringing" of the blade. Sometimes a blade stabilizer (big washer that stiffens up the hub of the blade) will correct this by moving the resonant frequency out to a different point that is not close to a harmonic of the rotational frequency. After you've done the bearing check described elsewhere, try the blade stabilizer method. Adding a thin rubber gasket (inner tube material is good) between that blade stabilizer and the blade can introduce some resonance damping as well.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

It might be the bearings, but you should also check for play in the tilt mechanism and the raising/lowering mechanism. The locking devices on some saws keep the handles from turning, but they don't eliminate play between the bearing surfaces.

Lock everything up like you normally would, grab the blade and push it from side to side, see if anything moves. If something does but you're not sure what, try clamping the carriage to the trunnion (use a couple of C-clamps or whatever), then shake it some more. If the movement is still there, try clamping the raising/lowering mechanism. Repeat. If you still have play, then you can start to suspect the bearings or blade wobble.

-Tom

Ken Veto wrote:

Reply to
Tom Young