Cryogenic treatment of brass instruments?

Persons of a more engineering or even metalworking bent _do_ cryogenically treat several metals to change their properties - why not brass?

But why do they cryogenically treat them in the first place? Does it work with brass (or perhaps even monel, which somne "brass" instruments are madeof?)? I don't know, so I can't answer, but they do seem to do it for a reason. Anyone?

Maybe it's like cryogenically treating CD's?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

As far as I know monel is only used in the valves. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Tis a dangerous thing, suggesting that an audiophile perform a proper double-blind test to see if their Glitzware gear really works... They originated the meme "I hereby reject your reality and substitute my own." ;-P

Wow, Flutter and THD you can measure. But 'Oxygen Free Copper' power cables to the receiver, or green ink on a CD rim goes straight from the sublime to the ridiculous...

(You'd need that special power cable all the way back to Hoover Dam, and rewire the dynamo and all the transformers along the route, too.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

That's the basis of my taunting sig on an audio forum. :D

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Not quite true. Tin, solder and presumably bronze suffer a peculiar kind of degradation at low temperature. It was the cause of the failure of one polar expedition, when the solder on their tins failed and they lost most of their food. Tin is not stable below a transition temperature when it becomes powdery due to transformation from the matallic form into another allotrope. - G.H.Ireland

Reply to
Mr G H Ireland

After the treatment the players are in awe of how well the treated instrument plays... but with the many discussions I have had with top players there is no difference. The difference is "perceived" by people who just plopped down their hard earned cash but I think there have been several tests run that don't show any difference. Nonferrous metals just don't keep the changes for very long at all. The reason people do it? Because other people are willing to give them money in search for the "quick fix".

LB

Reply to
Leonard & Peggy Brown