Cummins' comin'

The infamous Cummins Truck Tool Sale is coming to my area this week.

I got the flyer in the local paper, but was wondering if there are any un-advertsied "specials" worth seeking out.

Anybody been to a Cummins Tool sale recently?

Reply to
*

There is a hotel next to where I work and the Cummings group comes in once or twice a year with their merchandise and sets up shop. I walk over and take a look every time. ALWAYS leave empty handed. The junk is simply not worth taking home.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

The only thing that I bought from them that I like is a hammer.

Ignoramus3938

Bob sez:

"I walk over and take a look every time. ALWAYS leave empty handed. The junk is simply not worth taking home."

Jeeeezze, Bob ! I would say, "Then, don't take it home. Carry it back to where you work and raise the standard of operation there". You're such a connosewer of tools. I suppose you've read a couple of Lyle Cummins' books, "Internal Fire" and "Diesel's Engine".

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

What's happening Bob, are you having a bad day?

Ignoramus322

I bought their 20 ton shop press and it's a far better deal than I could find anywhere else, especially without having to cover shipping charges. The fit and finish were as good as Harbor Freight products, but at yet lower prices.

Random things... like their framing squares ... can be a very good deal.

  • wrote:
Reply to
Mike Berger

I went to one Thursday. Left empty-handed. I went to a similar Homier production last year where I left with a small bag of stuff. I think Homier has more variety... at least the ones I've been to.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I went to one once...and bought some "single stroke sandpaper"

Never bothered to go back.

Gunner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

I'll go to one this weekend - flyer arrived in yesterday's mail - to look at their #2134 $9.99 '24" Monster Caliper'. If it looks like ok steel and slides ok and has cm as well as inches, I'll probably get it.

Re unadvertised specials -- I think the usual problem is finding the hings they do have advertised. Re the prices -- It looks to me like quite a few items are higher than at HF, even some of the many "Factory Reconditioned" items in the flyer.

Reply to
James Waldby

James Waldby wrote in article ...

I actually bought that one last Fall.

It's not Starrett quality, but pretty accurate.

I use in in conjunction with my race tire dynamometer.

It's cheap enough so that if I drop a tire on it, I won't be too upset.

It is NOT scaled for >inside< measurements, so I measured the tips and wrote the thickness to add in mm and thou in paint on the caliper.

Reply to
*

sounds like the only thing related to Cummins is the engine of the truck they haul the crap around in.

Reply to
Tony

LOL!!!!!! I love that line!

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

LOL Bob, I have to hand it to you! You have me pegged. Yes I have Lyle Cumming's Internal Fire book on the shelf. One of my favorites. I guess I go hoping to find a deal but walk away when I see the poor quality.

And no, Today was not especially bad....

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

LOL Bob, I have to hand it to you! You have me pegged. Yes I have Lyle Cumming's Internal Fire book on the shelf. One of my favorites. I guess I go hoping to find a deal but walk away when I see the poor quality.

And no, Today was not especially bad....

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Looks as though this particular set of Carnies were on their final run before heading down to Sarasota to prepare for the upcoming circus/carnival season.

Truck was - for all practical purposes - empty.

The one item I was interested in from the flyer was out of stock when the sale opened!!!!........

I also noticed several other items listed in the circular, but not on display.....one example in particular being that 24-inch caliper that was referred to here.......

I heard another three or four people get the same answer I received when they inquired about a particular item....."Sorry....it's out of stock."

I saw no fewer than six people return from the truck to pick up the last remaining unit of whatever they had purchased - the floor sample......missing/broken parts and all. I think I would have preferred a refund over taking the shopworn display item.

All this less than an hour into the sale, and in less than one hour's time........

Cannot say I was disappointed.

It was almost expected!

Reply to
*

I got the flyer last week. If I have time I might stop in, it is not out of the way. Probably another dissapointment, as before

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

On 5 May 2007 18:15:27 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, bob snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com quickly quoth:

The $10 brooms and the $1 tarps are the two items of value from these turkeys.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques