Cummins in town today!

One of those road-warrior, truck retailers of fine, Coolie quality, Chinese machinery and tools - Cummins Tools - is in town today.

I plan to go up there and poke around a bit.

Has anybody made any recent purchases from them with which they are particularly pleased? .....not pleased?

Care to share your thoughts?

One thing that catches my eye is the "giant", 24-inch, vernier caliper for $9.99.

I need something to measure cross sections on loaded racing tires, so I think these will do the job without worrying about accidently dropping 50 pounds worth of tire and wheel on them.

I'm not contracted to NASA, so a few thousandths of inaccuracy won't be the end of the world. I'm more interested in comparing from one tire to the next.

Thanks!

Reply to
*

I would suggest not going.

I bought some pliers from them, of very poor quality.

sounds like a sensible application.

Ignoramus534

While I would normally share that philosophy wholeheartedly with you, I have today free (one project left yesterday afternoon and a new one arrives tomorrow morning) and there is a monsoon going on outside, so rather than spend the entire day at this keyboard, I thought it would be entertaining and educational to see the most recent round of quality (cough!...cough!...) upgrades that China has to offer......

.....that, of course, in addition to the caliper.

Reply to
*

Nasa's recent track record shows accuracy isn't important to them either.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader
  • wrote: Cummins Tools - is in town today.

Where? Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Are you suggesting that I seek a RFP from NASA?

LOL!

Reply to
*

They also sell hammers that are very cheap and that work very well. I think that my suggestion to not go was a wrong one.

I bought something from them, for $9.99 or $19.99, a 7" angle grinder, that I am now actually afraid to use. That's not really because I know anything about how it is constructed, I am just afraid that it would fall apart since I have hard times imagining how it could be made well for so little. Sounds stupid, I know. Now that I have a old metal case B&D grinder almost completely repaired, I will likely sell this 7" angle grinder for whatever I can get for it, probably on craigslist.

Ignoramus534

entertaining

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a 4-1/2" hand grinder for $4.95 - YES! Four dollars and ninety-five cents - a couple of years ago,a nd it's still working.

These cheapos have bushings instead of bearings, so they won't stand up to much abuse.

I leave mine set up with a sanding disk, and I use it mostly to clean up a path for my MIG welder. It never runs long enough to get the bushings hot.

Reply to
*

These characters roll through our area once or twice a year. If it is conveniant I go with high hopes of a deal. I always walk out empty handed.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

A commentary was made on Cummins Tools and to this I say: I bought my Ryobi chopsaw from them about 5 years ago and it's still going strong but at the same time I bought A small battery charger that worked about as long as it took for the truck to get out of town! I brought it back to them the next year and was told that there was nothing they could do as it was past the warranty period. When I pointed out that there truck was not A permanent installation and that I couldn't bring it back I got A "Ya so?" from them. Thats the last dime they'll get from me especially since Harbor Freight opened A store in MPLS.

H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

I bought their LED gooseneck / flexible flashlight for $10. I got the first one early this summer and by August two of the LEDs were out and the remaining ones were flickering. I took it back when they were in the area again at another town and they exchanged it, no questions asked. I like the light. It replaces my B&D Snakelight. The 4 LED light could stand to be a little brighter, but it does the job under the hood and because it's narrower than the Snakelight, it's easier to poke into small spaces. I hope the second one holds up better. If not, I think I could replace the LEDs myself.

RWL

Reply to
RWL

I picked up the exact tool you're talking about last year and have had no end of uses for it. I use it all the time on things like tube structures I'm welding and race car setup. It's great to just have a large caliper to throw around, even ignoring the graduations on it. I've been abusing it for over a year now and whenever I bother to use the vernier scale I'm always surprised by its accuracy. It more than gets the job done on the type of work you plan on doing.

Reply to
zackbass

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in article ...

From the "Customer Service" section at:

Customer Service

If you need to contact us about a product you purchased at a Truck Sale, please call our Customer Service Department at

1-308-832-2070 or email us @ snipped-for-privacy@cumminstools.com

If you need to contact us about a product you purchased over the Phone or Online through our web site please call our Internet/Phone Sales Department at

1-877-528.6646 or email us @ snipped-for-privacy@cumminstools.com
Reply to
*

They'll be up in Biddford, Maine - at the Eagles Club - on Friday and Saturday - 10/13-14/2006 then back down into Northeastern Mass. next week....

Check the website.....www.cumminstools.com

Reply to
*

Well, I found the oversize caliper I was looking for, but not much else.....a set of security Torx bits and a one-dollar body dolly. I spent less than $25.00!

I came to the conclusion that their product line isn't very deep.

I already have pretty much everything that I need in the tools/equipment that they offer.

The Homier truck sales seem to have so much more........

I also remembered another thing that made me like the Homier setup over the Cummins - two lines.

With Homier, you select your item off the shelf where it is displayed, take it to the cashier, stand in line, pay for it and walk away.

At Cummins sales, you need to use a clipboard, write the item number and description down, stand in line at the cashire, pay for it, THEN stand in line again - in the rain, as it happened yesterday - to pick up your purchase from the truck "warehouse." - not unlike the old Service Merchandise stores.

Oh well.....I'll probably STILL go the next time either one blows through the area.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
*

I browsed the local harbor freight store with my brother this afternoon. It is good entertainment. I like to say that they have the exact same merchandise as the gypsies, but they do stand behind their stuff, from what I hear. A friend of mine was trying to select the lesser of two evils in a pair of milling machines, and the store clerk told him to just take one home, if he didn't like it, he could bring it back. Yoi! They are willing to match the pricing of their competitors, including the gypsies. You have to pick and choose, I bought acid brushes, and a hanger for a gravity feed spray gun. Power tools? Not me, Ralph. My brother wanted to try the electric free flight model airplane for $7. I told him I could save him $2. I told him to just hand me a five. :)

Reply to
Jon