Cup Wire brushes -- twisted vs non twisted

On 27 Oct 2006 10:47:54 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ronnie" quickly quoth:

Kinky's ALWAYS better than straight, n'est-ce pas? ;)

I think that Tom will tell you that the harder the OP wants to push (thicker rust/scale) the more he needs twisted wires, and that steel is much more agressive than brass.

------------------------------------------------------------ California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Indeed. BTW Tom..I had occasion to use a wire cup brush at a clients shop the other day...and it was like being shot with a flechette mini-gun

I REALLY have learned to appreciate your brushes over the years.

Obviously..it wasnt one of yours.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I managed to stall the little 1/3hp old style Sears grinder that way with a shirt sleeve. Fortunately it was only small horsepower and a ultra fine while wheel

If it has been my 1hp jobby with the ultra course wheel...folks would be calling me Lefty today.

Gunner..now ALWAYS careful.

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Sounds like you've used the wrong brushes at the wrong speed with the wrong pressure and the wrong wire size and the wrong alloy. Don't feel bad, good brushing operations are well kept secrets. Ask Gunner, he's spent some time exploring the variables.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oh hell yes.

The one issue with knotted/twisted brushes..is that they will sooner or later abrade enough metal from the surface to be notable. Particularly surfaces you DONT want to remove metal from, such as ways, sliding parts and so forth. This is true with every wire wheel..the more aggressive ones simply remove more parent metal faster than do the fine ones.

Wire wheels are simply ONE tool, in a large tool box of rust removal/surface prep tools.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Tom, does Ohio Brush sell retail to the public?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If not, Tom needs to give that considerable thought.

Reply to
Anthony

Grant Erwin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Also, I will say that doing business with Tom is a pleasurable experience. He knows his stuff, and is willing to help with whatever oddball situation you have. Delivery has been first-rate, even on an 'emergency need' basis of an order totalling less than $100.

Reply to
Anthony

Check the RPM rating for the brush,, most grinders are way too fast. With an untwisted brush the wires will splay out and break off when oversped. A knotted or twisted cup brush will stand up to overspeeding better. But it's still best to match your grinder to the rated speed of the brush. I use a Sioux right angle low speed grinder with a 5/8NC spindle that was made for this type of work, great tool.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Sure, but understand we're not geared to do it well. I don't maintain a lot of stock so lead times on some items is dependent on production scheduals. We make for stocking orders with a bit of over-run, so 10-14 days is not uncommon. But often we can ship the same day. It's one or the other. I've thought about something like an ebay store but haven't had time to do it, I'm running two shifts now. Whoda-thunk?

Just call toll-free: 888-411-3265 or email: tom(at)ohiobrush(dot)com and give me your Credit-card number. BWAHAHAHAHA

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Too fast? Well, yes and no. The right brush won't do that. But, at too high a speed the brush becomes a burnishing tool rather than a cutting tool. Wires shouldn't break up to the speed stramped on the brush...unless it's foreign crap. We had a wire alloy developed for us especially for high speed mini-grinders. The wire will wear down rather than break off. In general, if people knew how to use brushes, I'd go broke!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

After "polishing" a lot of rust in a pickup bed, I went and paid something over $50 for a good twisted wire cup brush. The "polishing" then went right down to clean metal. So i know the right brush makes a lot of difference.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Ayep!