CUTOFF TOOL ANGLE

I am using Manchester cutoff tools. I can get inserts in zero, 5 and

12 degree. 5 degree seems to work best for most things, zero for when I am grooving. When would 12 degree be used? Is it dependant on material?

Any rule of thumb to apply here.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Anyone got anything to add here to this off topic non-politics post?

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

I am not well-informed about when/where to use 12-degree inserts, but would expect an angle like that for cutting aluminum or plastics, and a still-higher angle for cutting wood. Also, some 12 degree inserts are for parting or roughing mild steel if I understand correctly.

Reply to
James Waldby

[ ... ]

Well ... I don't use inserts very often for parting, but I would suggest that the 12 degree might work well with aluminum, and maybe some plastics up close to where they are held.

And you probably should prefer the 0 degree for parting brass as well -- it tends to self-feed with rake. Same with "dubbing" (removing the rake for a short distance at the end of the drill bit) twist drills to prevent diving through when the hole breaks through.

Mostly -- try and see what work for you, your materials, and your machines.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols