Cutting oil or coolant for drill press

Tom has a great sense of humor. I am windering if I can just use hydraulic oil for cutting. I have large quantities of it and even burn it for winter.
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:06:47 -0500, Ignoramus4881

If you're asking me, I have no clue. And if you called a hydraulic oil company and talked to their top engineer, I'm reasonably sure they would have no clue, either.
If you want to talk about what properties you want in a cutting oil or other cutting fluid, I can offer the basics. But it's a tedious subject and I'm not going off on it unless you want to get into it.
--
Ed Huntress

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 8:06:56 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus4881 wrote:

Any thing is better than nothing. Your hydraulic oil is not going to be the best possible, but will probably be about 90 % of the best possible oil/coolant.
Dan
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:28:58 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Actually Dan, hydraulic oil makes lousy cutting oil, not even close to being 90% as good as the best possible cutting oils or coolants. Lubricating oils in general make lousy cutting oils. In fact, when using water soluble cutting oils in machine tools the lubricating oils used in those machine tools for the ways and ballscrews contaminate the coolant and cause it to be much less effective in preventing cutting tool wear as well as proper chip formation. This is the main reason why I use oil skimmers to remove tramp oils from the coolant used in my machine tools. Eric
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 11:54:32 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:
>Any thing is better than nothing. Your hydraulic oil is not going to be the best possible, but will probably be about 90 % of the best possible oil/coolant.

Thanks for the correction. For years I have used what ever is handy including ATF. And believed it was much better than nothing.
Dan
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:18:37 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Maybe better than nothing, but certainly not as near as good as cutting oil. Have you tried bacon fat? Even bacon fat is better than motor oil. Seriously. Eric
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:29:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

With all of the stearin in it, it won't wick by capillary action. When you take the stearin out you're left with lard oil -- which has a decent set of properties (and a very long history) as a cutting oil.
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 16:27:01 -0400, Ed Huntress

Bacon fat wicks OK when the metal is good and hot. BTW, how is the stearin removed? I have always wanted to make lard oil. Eric

This doesn't answer your question but it's a good, concise explanation of the chemistry of fats and oils. http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Di-Fa/Fats-and-Fatty-Acids.html The strange traditional names indicate their sources, for instance 'capr..' refers to a goat. -jsw

Look for "Manteca" in the foreign food section.
-jsw

Thanks... Maybe, use light weight hydraulic oil and throw in some sulphur also.
replying to Ignoramus14609, ctvc255 wrote: Thanks, I learned something new here!