De-burring Sheet Metal Edges

Excellent idea. The challenge to Darren (and others of similar bent) is to see if he can jig up something like that with his dremel, including stops for the small pieces and pushsticks to save his fingers.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ha! I forgot about those things. When I was at _American Machinist_ I got a product release for it every month. Enough already!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I have had hundreds of hours experience with 4" and 4.5" grinders. Enough to respect them. It is possible to debur the strips with a wire wheel, but only with everything EXACTLY right, the anchoring of the workpiece, the angle of attack, the type of brush, EVERYTHING.

It is possible, just a little spooky.

Be careful.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

If I had a serious number or amount of these to do, I would make a jig, exposing just enough of the brush as necessary.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Usually I just file the sharp edges off small parts, over a bucket.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Thanks everyone.

It seems that the best way for me to proceed is to just stick the end of each strip in a vise and use a file on both edges, before turning the strips around to do the other half.

Any ideas on what kind of file to use?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

(...)

Special two-tooth file, gets both edges on one stroke. Called the DB 1000. See the 4th product down on the left side:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

MSC URLs are temporary ones built by your search for your login session only.

However -- if you bring up their home page, and enter the catalog number ("05752100" -- found in the URL above after "PMITEM=", you get the item in question.

That overhanging black part is a good thing -- it protects your knuckles from being cut by the burrs if you slip.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Brrp! Sorry. I figured a catalog page reference was safe.

Yup. That's the thing alright.

*When* I slip. 00

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It worked fine for me. Agent v6.

Or WHEN the Crapsman tool you're using breaks. DAMHIKT.

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Worked for me this morning, too. Funny that!

(...)

AFAIK, the Noga brand is sufficiently good quality. Still, that finger guard is a good feature.

My old, third hand Sears band saw works like a trooper. I just can't break the thing.

I hope quality becomes trendy again. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Worked for me.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That finger guard is also the guide for the sheet metal - hold it so that the edge of the sheet metal is laying in that groove in the finger guard and that puts the cutting discs at the proper angle and keeps you from digging divots as you stroke so the edge looks pretty after you deburr it. You can also rotate the cutters to expose fresh edges as they wear, and adjust their spacing to optimize the cut for different thicknesses of sheet metal.

D>> Searcher7 wrote:

Brrp! Sorry. I figured a catalog page reference was safe.

Yup. That's the thing alright.

*When* I slip. 00

--Winston

Reply to
Carl Ijames

It worked for me. using Firefox.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

One thing - MSC that handles the MSCdirect web page - works on the pages at night. Sometimes it is a big task.

They disable it in some areas or the whole thing. You might have caught them in a down time period.

New look lately.

Mart> Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

O.K. It still fails (on a Sun Blade 2000 with Solaris 10 as the OS) on Opera, and on Firefox, but it does work on Mozilla. (Obviously, no way to try it with the Microsoft Explorer on this system. :-)

And my early 1960s Sears Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet with the quick release button still works -- even though I abused it for years hoping for an excuse to get a fine-tooth ratchet version to replace it. :-)

And -- the Sears air compressor (from an estate sale a few years ago) still works fine -- once I disassembled and cleaned the regulator. Of course, this is an oil wetted one with a belt drive to the pump, not one of those terrible oilless noisemakers. :-)

Amen!

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks again everyone.

I probably can forgo the vise and just hand-hold the strips while I deburr them.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

(...)

I assume you would use something like this to hand-hold the workpiece edges against a bench - mounted belt sander:

workpiece, deburr first edge, flip and deburr edges as necessary.

That way, you have time to catch yourself if something slips. No 'road rash' or cut fingers!

Please hold your workpiece so that *when* it catches on the belt, it gets kicked *away* rather than sucked *into* the abrasive. DAMHIKT.

--Winston :)

Reply to
Winston