De-burring Sheet Metal Edges

wrote:

It worked fine for me. Agent v6.

Or WHEN the Crapsman tool you're using breaks. DAMHIKT.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
Worked for me this morning, too. Funny that!
(...)

AFAIK, the Noga brand is sufficiently good quality. Still, that finger guard is a good feature.
My old, third hand Sears band saw works like a trooper. I just can't break the thing.
I hope quality becomes trendy again. :)
--Winston
One thing - MSC that handles the MSCdirect web page - works on the pages at night. Sometimes it is a big task.
They disable it in some areas or the whole thing. You might have caught them in a down time period.
New look lately.
Martin
On 6/20/2011 10:16 AM, Winston wrote:

    O.K. It still fails (on a Sun Blade 2000 with Solaris 10 as the OS) on Opera, and on Firefox, but it does work on Mozilla. (Obviously, no way to try it with the Microsoft Explorer on this system. :-)

    And my early 1960s Sears Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet with the quick release button still works -- even though I abused it for years hoping for an excuse to get a fine-tooth ratchet version to replace it. :-)
    And -- the Sears air compressor (from an estate sale a few years ago) still works fine -- once I disassembled and cleaned the regulator. Of course, this is an oil wetted one with a belt drive to the pump, not one of those terrible oilless noisemakers. :-)

    Amen!
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
That finger guard is also the guide for the sheet metal - hold it so that the edge of the sheet metal is laying in that groove in the finger guard and that puts the cutting discs at the proper angle and keeps you from digging divots as you stroke so the edge looks pretty after you deburr it. You can also rotate the cutters to expose fresh edges as they wear, and adjust their spacing to optimize the cut for different thicknesses of sheet metal.
----- Regards, Carl Ijames "Winston" wrote in message wrote:

Brrp! Sorry. I figured a catalog page reference was safe.

Yup. That's the thing alright.

*When* I slip. 00
--Winston
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Worked for me.
It worked for me. using Firefox.
Martin
On 6/19/2011 11:31 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Thanks again everyone.
I probably can forgo the vise and just hand-hold the strips while I deburr them.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Searcher7 wrote:
(...)

I assume you would use something like this to hand-hold the workpiece edges against a bench - mounted belt sander: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-jaw-straight-sheet-metal-seamer-98728.html Load workpiece, deburr first edge, flip and deburr edges as necessary.
That way, you have time to catch yourself if something slips. No 'road rash' or cut fingers!
Please hold your workpiece so that *when* it catches on the belt, it gets kicked *away* rather than sucked *into* the abrasive. DAMHIKT.
--Winston :)

But not just any wire wheel. Buy the best! A januwine, certified, long-lasting Ohio Brush wire wheel, right, Tawm?
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Are you spamming? Well, OK!

Belt sander, tumbler, V-scraper, file, flap wheel...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bur-Beaver:
http://www.harigmfg.com/bur-beaver.html
Probably a good way to launch small strips across the room, but it might work pretty well.
Doug White

Excellent idea. The challenge to Darren (and others of similar bent) is to see if he can jig up something like that with his dremel, including stops for the small pieces and pushsticks to save his fingers.
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

I have had hundreds of hours experience with 4" and 4.5" grinders. Enough to respect them. It is possible to debur the strips with a wire wheel, but only with everything EXACTLY right, the anchoring of the workpiece, the angle of attack, the type of brush, EVERYTHING.
It is possible, just a little spooky.
Be careful.
Steve

If I had a serious number or amount of these to do, I would make a jig, exposing just enough of the brush as necessary.
Steve

Usually I just file the sharp edges off small parts, over a bucket.
jsw

Ha! I forgot about those things. When I was at _American Machinist_ I got a product release for it every month. Enough already!
--
Ed Huntress