Define "vernier"

I resemble that..... I have no personality, and many believe that I have no manners, or social graces.

However, at my building (the church), I stop in and fix things quietly, without attracting too much attention.

I do other repairs, for my employment. Those, also, with no personality or graces.

.

One type of guy was a true expert in his field, and usually on contract with more than one station, so long as they did not compete for audience.

The other was the "goofy geek" type, who gallumphed into the studio periodically to "tune shit". He had no personality, no particular skills beyond that which anyone having an FCC ticket at the time had (except he had a class-A license, which he lorded over the folks who didn't need one, but could pass the test), and he had absolutely no social skills.

The former came in to fix "real" problems. The latter came in (frequently) to get paid almost nothing to do somewhat less.

LLoyd

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got out of the industry a long time ago. I had an offer from CBS but really wasn't interested. I had a couple years experience working working at a small time station part time in the summer. I held a first class radiotelephone license since I was 16 and the chief engineer at the station was in management at CBS so I had a door opened for me. The life expectancy for engineers in that field was not too good. The transmitter I ran was an old RCA BTF-10 with a phased locked loop. The tuning capacitor for the oscillater was driven by a motor which got its feedback from a discriminator circuit. There was a backup unit that was crystal controlled but the thing was phase modulated and wasn't as good of quality audio even with the pre emphasis circuit in place. I got a whole two bucks an hour for running that station at night.

John

Reply to
john
[...]

These expressions sometimes have interesting regional variations. In UK one "hoovers" the carpets. In Czech republic one "luxuje" (pronounced "look-soo-ye).

BTW today I saw digital calipers for sale in a big tool shop in the neighbouring town labelled "vernier calipers". Clearly it is now quite pervasive. OTOH there should be a difference between a shopkeeper and a bone fide machinist.

Until they fell on stony ground...

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

Yes -- but "Kilobyte" was a *proposed* name, and no print run was ever made using it. And the grounds for the lawsuit was a terrible cartoon run in Byte under the name "Spar Trek" with a character named "Kil O'Byte" IIRC. As soon as the magazine name was changed to "Kilobaud" the cartoon died a well deserved death. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

O.K. Outside my experience there. :-)

[ ... ]

I've not used VOIP either, so I stand (actually sit) corrected. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It was called Kilobyte on the first subscription card I saw, and was used for my first year's subscription.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've worked at three TV stations, and one radio station as a full time engineer. One TV station had two transmitter sites. My time was split between repairing things that failed, doing PM, installing new equipment, and sometimes running a camera when no one else was available. The military station was the worst. You ran the audio & video consoles, the CCUs and the film chain. You also produced & directed a daily live newscast. You monitored the AM radio station, set up live remotes and improvised a lot of equipment that AFRN didn't supply. Everything was depot level repair, but we weren't allowed to be off the air, so I ignored orders and fixed anything that needed it. I went over people's heads to get parts, or made them. Including a replacement tuner for the off air demod. They wanted to court-martial me for that one, but they couldn't prove that I'd touched it. Have you ever made the metal shafts for a TV tuner with nothing but files? :-)

The next station was in Orlando/Orange City. 5 MW EIRP on Ch. 55, and on a tower that put the antenna 1749' HAAT. 195 KW of Visual & Aural RF fed into the diplexer, then fed up the waveguide. That station was a mix of state of the art & 20+ year old equipment, like the RCA TK 46 cameras.

The last station, I built. It went into an old prefab steel building in Destin. I installed a RCA TTU-25B that was built in 1952. With the antenna gain, it was capable of 1.3 MW EIRP, but the tower height was limited, because of the location in the Gulf of Mexico.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Aural section of the TTU-10/TTU-25B series was a standard FM transmitter exciter with a phase modulator & multipliers. For our use, the crystal was around 6 MHz, and multiplied to Ch. 58.

I was offered chief engineer at Ch 45, WRGT in Dayton Ohio about 30 years ago. They offered minimum wage for 40 hour a week salary, and you were on call 24/7. I walked out without finishing the interview.

I interviewed for a job at Ch. 22 in Dayton, and didn't get it. When I talked to a friend who worked there, I was told that I scared the chief engineer because I knew more about the equipment than he did. The Old guy was to retire in two years, and told my friend that they would fire him, if I went to work there. With all the on air technical problems they had, I can believe it. The station was a real mess, and some 'brilliant engineer' had the diplexer installed above the drop tile ceiling which required it be retuned twice a year, for summer & winter. That is a lot of delicate brass to be screwing around with.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:Y_ydnbfTxPBBIivSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Sh**T... that was BRUCE's old transmitter site! He, my Dad, and I worked with (not for) him for years. He had a TV repair business right under the tower!

Small world....

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA057C407941FDlloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

I should have added (for authenticity), that site was originally on the south side of DeLand between Orange City and Deland. When they built the new antenna SW of Orange City (about... what... 1980?), it was (for a while) the tallest structure in Central Florida, causing havoc with the air traffic of which I was a part then.

I cannot for the life of me remember Bruce's last name, but he was in turns the chief engineer for WOOO (1310 AM) radio in DeLand, a TV repairman (which Dad and I were also), did a stint as a Volusia County Sheriff's Deputy, and also engineered the county SO's comm. facility.

Small world, indeed.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Are you thinking about the Ch 2 tower? It is 1200', and on the west side of 17/92 The Ch 55 tower site was built in the late '80s, and became the highest tower. It was owned by Texas Towers, nd cost over a million dollars to build. It had Ch 55, five 'Orlando' FM stations and the short lived Ch 68. The site was inside a double security fence. There was a trunking radio system leasing tower space for a while, in the area reserved for future use, and next to the vault with a bunch of federal radio systems. The last I heard, only the forestry service equipment was in use, and all the trunking base station equipment was abandoned

BTW, the FAA had refused to let Ch. 55 to build a higher tower in Lisbon, and the FCC wouldn't let them raise the EIRP on the 300 foot stick. When the land became available in Orange City the FAA allowed the 1700' tower, and stated that it was a mistake to grant the CP to build the Ch. 2 tower, and that the tow sites were in a straight line from the nearest airport, so Ch. 55 could only build to a max of 1750' HAAT.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I learned the qwerty layout in typing class back in'63. Then I got my first PC in '96 and my hands would ache something fierce! Carpal tunnel symptoms showing up. Then at the age of 50 I learned the dvorak board and typing has been easy! No need to swap the keys around, the layout is easy to use. Back then I used a CD named Mavis Beacon teaches typing to learn it. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

[ ... ]

O.K. Find me a Dvorak driver for the keyboard for an AT&T Unix-PC/7300/3B1 (which does *not* use any "standard" (if you mean capable of connecting to a PC of any vintage).

Or how about one for my Cosmos CMS-16/UNX (a 68000 based v7 unix machine which has *no* directly connecting keyboard. It expects to be connected to serial terminals. Same for the Tektronix 6130.

These are the machines which I was talking about not being able to find Dvorak keyboards for. Yes, there are drivers for the keyboard in the Unix-PC/7300/3B1, but they are not documented, and the OS is not open source. (And before you suggest putting in some flavor of linux -- the 3B1 does not have enough memory to support any reasonable flavor of linux. It maxes out at 4 MB (not GB, MB).

So -- your suggestion to change the drivers is like the suggestion to put a 100:127 gear pair in a change gear lathe and then select a particular thread on the quick-change gear box. It just does not exist on these older machines.

And even with a driver for Dvorak on a Sun, you still have the problem that you are stuck using the keyboard as a QWERTY keyboard when talking to the OBP (Open Boot Prom -- to change CMOS setups and initiate diagnostics.)

I wonder whether anyone ever made a Dvorak keyboard for a DEC VT-240 terminal for example? That would allow using it with the computers which I mentioned above.

And to do that, I would already have to *know* the Dvorak keyboard well enough to live with the fixed keycaps on the slideout hardware keyboard. There is no way that I can see to move the keycaps around. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

And an unfortunate choice of logo if one is trying to communicate a sense of accuracy. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

And both of the customers in the world who know that will be troubled by it, and maybe buy an Infiniti instead. d8-)

My favorite logo of all time was the one Steve Jobs had made for NeXT Computers. Jobs paid $1.2 million for it. Just for the logo design, that is.

I was making pretty good money at the time, but I thought, "sheeee...it. I'm in the wrong business."

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

Perhaps not *both*. :)

She's a beaut.

It makes me wonder how much Paul Rand got for the ads that he featured on his website. Tilting a block on end and pasting color letters on it is obviously genius.

Saaay. Wait a minute. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

See what I mean? It's like throwing a curve ball. It's all in the wrist.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gaaah!

--Winston