Delay the November Election?

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what "Kurt Laughlin" foisted Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:48:58 GMT on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

And the Japanese economy remains in a deflationary spiral, hobbled by the fact that while the real estate market bubble popped, the loans based on those inflated values haven't been "adjusted". Of course, as long as payments are made, those loans are still counted as "good". But the economy is going nowhere, slowly.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

at one time tohoyo has a paper value higher than that of the entire u.s. or so said an announcer on that japanese-english sat station.

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (e) foisted Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:34:48 GMT on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

Classic real estate bubble. When the value of a piece of real estate can only be recovered by selling the property, not by selling anything made on the property, you have an over valued market. Similar in kind to the dot.com bubble, or the famous Amsterdam Tulip craze.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

He had security responsibilities in his capacity at that time, didn't he? Granted it isn't like folks were saying "hey, what are these folks doing getting pilot licences here" or maybe "why do these guys act like they're trying to hijack planes here" or whatnot.

But the mechanism of attack was pretty obvious in retrospect, and almost nobody flagged it. He sure didn't, in the job he had at the time.

Some folks *did*. They were ignored. My point was, putting "experts" in charge of stuff like this (predicting the 'next big thing') is not always a good idea.

Jim

jim rozen

blink blink....so then...if we take the oldest group of kids from the St. Mary's home for retarded children, or a typical group of methamphetamine users, or a group of Democrat poll watchers and put them in an office, they will be able to predict the next terrorist attack?

Interesting comment Jim......blink blink....

Gunner, who strongly believes in Murphys law..and the concept of "shit happens"

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

Hmm. The hiatus was democratic if you think about it.

Reagan

(clinton)

Bush1

Bush2

Which one of those was a democrat?

That's what the checks and ballances are all about. I suspect that about three or four of them will be approved.

Rhenquist Stevens O'Conner

probably more.

Jim

jim rozen

Chuckle..Jim..which ones of those were Conservatives? (1)

Ah..Jim..they are already Judges. Until they die, or retire. Its the new judges that Im talking about..those that get picked to fill spots newly vacant. Like those that the Left have been blocking. Which oddly enough..are mostly Minority judges nominated by the Right. Estrada for example..and a black woman who's name escapes me at the moment. and a host of others.

Seems the Left doesnt much care for minority judges who are not extreme leftists.

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

Well, *one* of them was a fiscal conservative. He had a balanced budget.

Earth to Gunner - those guys are going to retire within the next presidential term. Count on it.

Strange. I though playing petty politics was the republican's job. Funny how they start crying and blubbering when the other side starts doing the same thing. I think they made their bed, now they start complaining about it...

Jim

jim rozen

Once again you are asking the *wrong* question. Not 'could they do any better,' but rather, could your group of misfits "do any _worse_?"

Jim

jim rozen

I'm sure he did have security responsibilities as the PA Governor. Securing the Pentagon against an air attack probably wasn't one them. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've no idea what Tom Ridge's qualifications for Director of Homeland Security are, or who might be better qualified. It just seems a little unfair to castigate him for his failure to predict/prevent the 9/11 attacks.

"Experts" aren't always right, that's for sure. Still, if I'm diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I'm going to see an oncologist.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Sounds like Baltimore. I remember many years ago, back when the Baltimore Sun still had some editorial integrity, they did a check after an election and noted a large number of votors with addresses on certain blocks of North Avenue. Turned out to be a big old cemetery there. The Sunpapers editor joked that he wondered if John Wilkes Booth came back to vote for mayor DeAlesandro. The cemetery is where Booth was buried in

1865.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Answer my question first.

Btw..when was the last terrorist attack on the continental US?

[...]

Only if you used smoke and mirrors.

Time will tell.

Shows what sort of wierd shit you can come up with when Thinking, huh?

Now about Estrada.....

[...]

Willing to bet? I would wager a sixpack of Mt Dew against a sixpack of coke that, no matter who is elected next term, at least two of the three justices will announce their retirement and they will begin the selection process.

Jim

jim rozen

I think gunner had a pretty good list there.

At this time, those are his responsibilites. So a discussion of his employment history, in light of those, is appropriate IMO.

Jim

jim rozen

President for Life (AKA King). I thought that was one of the reasons we went to war with England.

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

Who? FDR?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

That too. :-)

Reply to