Digital Desktop Fabrication

There has been a lot of press lately about digital desktop fabrication. Even a segment on Science Friday on PBS today. MIT is developing an idea for a desktop size device that takes virtually any design from a computer and fabricates them from the molecular level up using a variety of engineered chemicals in combination to give the required performance for each component.. Sort of intelligent stereo lithography on steroids.

Having just spent $90 on inkjet cartridges all I could think about during the program was "Yeah, but what will the refills cost?"

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

If Bill Gates gets his way, there won't be anymore software license issues. Nor anymore PCs, just terminals paying per instance charges to use his programs on his servers. Maybe his can fix it so you pay $90 a month to use his printers.

wws

Reply to
wws

This was actually featured a cupla years ago. Hard to comprehend.

But this inkjet thing does seem outta control. Haven't calc'd it out, but it seems these things are WAY more expensive than the laser carts I used to get for $70 that cranked out 3,000 pages.

Hospitals get million-dollar blood analysis machines for FREE! Well, almost--you gotta sign on the dotted line for the co's *reagents* for the next millenium. Seems that's what's happening w/ goddamm printers. Cars, CNC service?? Spider's web, of sorts.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Another content-filler story for the ever-hungry news networks. MIT has lots of smart people, but they are usually involved with stuff so far removed from commercially viable products, it's laughable.

Real-world parts are made from strong materials and that normally involves the application of lots of energy in the form of heat and pressure somewhere along the way. The notion that a nano-sized pastry bag can puff out equivalent components makes me question the sanity of these people and the overall intelligence of the "Science Friday" editors at PBS.

Reply to
Tim Killian

"If I tol you once Orville, Iz tol you a million times...it will never fly"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I work with a lot of Rapid Prototype plastic parts as well as ones made up by hand with epoxy and Bondo. It's a good system for making development samples of complex non-structural plastic shapes before committing to a very expensived mold but the necessary ability to mentally visualize and assemble the 3D shapes before entering them into the CAD tool seems rare. The designer needs to understand the complex rules and language of geometry, mechanical and sometimes electronic design to produce something more useful than a personalized cell phone cover.

I would rather fold, hammer and weld a 3D shape out of sheet metal because it will be much stronger and I can rethink and modify it afterwards. I sort of think with my hands when forming curved surfaces and I can't do that on a computer.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

The "plastic" prototype could then be used as a pattern to make an investment casting of a more suitable metal. Still pretty quick.

Another process will build a metal parts by computer controlled weld build-up.

However, for visualizing and fit-up purposes the plastic part would suffice.

Wolfgang

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Reply to
wfhabicher

One of the main reasons the Wright brothers succeeded was their use of an internal combustion engine. Heavier than air vehicles were pretty much impossible until then.

And yes, I know about rapid prototyping and SL -- both are wonderful processes. But I'm not holding my breath for a lathe chuck built-up using nanotech or any additive process.

Reply to
Tim Killian

That's standard practice in rapid prototyping. It sounds like Glenn saw something about MIT's Fab Labs. They're a different thing. It's kind of a "gee whiz" project at present.

It sounds like the story may be a bit mixed up with another thing altogether, though: MIT's MEMS technology labs.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress