Question about digital audio

I've wondered about this question: If I copy a CD/DVD on my PC, does it burn digital to digital, or does the reader convert it to analog, then the
writer converts it to digital?
If that's the case, then burning a copied CD will introduce more errors, etc...
If this is the case, is there a system that goes directly from reading the digital format and then right at the output of the op-amp that reads the CD go into a digital writing buffer to write the 0s and 1s?
Thanks

CD
the wonderful thing about digital production is that it minimizes "generation loss". in the heyday of analog tape each time the audio (or video) was transferred from one tape to another a varying amount of hiss, noise, and distortion were added.
go ahead and rip and burn all you care to and relax, any lost bits will be insignificant in the great scheme of things.
Peter wrote:

It depends on the copying (ripping) software you are using. For CDs, it isn't difficult to read the digital content and write it directly to disk. For DVDs, its a little trickier, since the content is encrypted and the audio and video content is multiplexed within the same data stream.
Its possible that some ripping s/w might just be sampling the analog output from the DVD (and CD) player using the audio A/D hardware.

True. But keep in mind that even if you capture the digital content from an audio CD, encoding it as an MP3 will lose some data due to the lossy nature of the compression scheme used. The audio track from a DVD is already encoded in an MP3 format, so if the digital data is extracted directly, no further loss due to compression will take place.

I'm assuming the laser that reads the data goes directly into an op-amp buffer circuit, then drives a d/a. Why not take the buffer's output and go directly to the input of the writers circuitry where it converts the digital into analog and writes it.
The other way invovles a d/a, then sends it to the writer, then an a/d which introduces errors. Then I take that copy and copy it, and produce double the errors.
Peter wrote:

Because the data stream off the photoreceptor is a mix of "audio", control information, errors, error correction data, gaps and much more.
--
Sue

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q c+exact+audio+copy