Does anyone actually own a pig roaster

I almost forgot: they use it about once or twice a year, despite having been doing it for about 30 years and being well known for putting on a good feed. Partly because that's about how often they can get groups together to make it worthwhile, and partly because of how much work is involved and how much it takes out of the "core knowledge base" who even when they're taking a break are still answering a steady stream of "how do I...".

Some of the limiting constants have nothing to do with pork, and more on how often guests can take time out of their busy lives to show up.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

NOW... metal content (besides the roaster, et al)

I spent last week re-reviewing Historic Williamsburg (sigh).

The only two things that kept me interested were the print shop and the kitchens.

As time permits, I've decided to build a fully mechanical, escapement- style roasting jack.

Since it will handle at least 40lb of meat, it'll have to be equipped with counter-weights to balance the load, or else it would have to be set up with monster winding weights. I figure that a five-pronged "balance wheel" with sliding weights external to the cooker would be the easy way to go.

For the escapement - and because it adds visual appeal - I'm leaning toward the "flying ball on a string" mechanism, where, rather than a pendulum, the excapement is driven by throwing a tethered ball around a stanchion. Its inertia throws the stanchion in the direction of the ball's flight, and is given a slight push by the escapment to cause the ball and string to wind up. When it unwinds, it flys around to the other side of the stanchion to reverse the escapement lever.

I think the only difficult part will be to cut the reduction worm that was part of almost every colonial period roasting jack. Lacking a driven rotary table, I'll probably end up marking out and rough machining by hand, then filing the worm to contour.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sprain difference, preese?

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Grilling - Quick cooking at high temp with direct radiant heat

Barbecue - Slow cooking at low temp with indirect heat

Reply to
Pete C.

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Some time shortly after Henry Ford invented the charcoal briquette, someone (or a bunch of someones) who didn't know the difference equated cooking over a high heat fire on a "grill" (a gridiron) with the low heat, slow cooking done mostly by country cooks and blacks.

The "barbeque grill" became a popular item, promoted mostly by Mr. Ford in an effort to sell his waste oak from car chasses, and spurred by the new-found leisure time afforded his highly-paid factory workers.

Most Americans continue to call a grill a "barbeque". One _can_ barbeque in a covered grill, but it's painstaking work to maintain a constant cooking temperature in one. A real barbeque relies either on an open fire in a pit or fireplace, or a contained fire in a "fire box" connected by flues to the cooking chamber that provides a gentle heat of only 200F-

220F for as much as 24 hours. The containing structure also traps smoke which flavors the meat.

A grill cooks over very high heat, usually with the fire directly beneath the meat, and only a small distance separating them. Where barbequeing might take a full day, grilling can be completed on something like hamburgers or not-thick-enough steaks in just a few minutes.

Both have their virtues, and most "real" barbeque-ers grill too, but not very many grillers barbeque. Mostly it's because barbeque is too much work, and takes too much special equipment and too much time.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd, this is exactly what I was looking for and lost. Thanks.

Ignoramus12203

So, Lloyd, if I cook (roast) a rotating pig for 6 hours, what is the proper name for this activity?

Ignoramus12203

Roasting :)

Reply to
Pete C.

Ignoramus12203 fired this volley in news:hradnZsCvdHceFvRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's called "cooking it WAY too fast."

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Depends on the size of the pig. A small shoat that is split could roast in 6 hours. BUT a full grown pig wouldn't even be warmed through at 6 hours!

Now a brisket or a pork butt could be done easily in 6 hours.

Looked at the rub posted. I use something similar but instead of just black pepper I grind a pepper blend and use sea salt instead of kosher.

Have you ever used honey/molasses to glaze the pig the way they do in Asia? Makes a nice change from the ordinary. Kind of a sweet BBQ candy...

Reply to
Steve W.

I was thinking about 40-50 lbs pigs.

Ignoramus12203

Bless his li'l capitalist heart!

My sister does her Thanksgiving and Christmas hams and turkeys in the covered grill. I flame-broil steaks on my portable grill. Both are propane, which I much prefer over the briquettes'n'kerosene stench.

Barbeque would probably generally use wood as a fuel, wouldn't it?

Got it.

Verily. Thanks.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Briquettes (quality ones) do not have any stench, and no real cook would start any of them with kerosene. Charcoal (lump or briquettes) is started in a chimney starter and is added to the smoker's fire box once it is well started and any residual volatiles are burned off.

Quality charcoals are made from wood, these are generally "lump" charcoals, but there are some briquettes made from lump charcoal production dust and bits and a minimal corn starch binder.

Actually, burgers made from freshly ground (minutes before grill) or adequately thick steaks can be grilled for a few minutes per side, then moved to the side of the grill for a few more minutes to get them done with a lovely outside and nice rare inside. Don't do rare burgers from long ago ground mystery meat though unless you want to get sick.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Cooking: the act of preparing food with heat." --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Wouldn't it be easier to use one, bigger pig that all those one pound pigs? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Now, why would _anyone_ use a nasty hydrocarbon to light their charcoal?

Try one of the chimney-style charcoal lighters, and you'll like the taste.

Barbeque is traditionally done on wood, but charcoal is often used as an adjunct to help stabilize the temperature.

Some guys even have an auxiliary propane burner in their cookers, along with a thermostat. It takes a lot of the work out of the process.s

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Briquettes use up so much oxygen that I can't stand being in the area with them. Besides, propane is much cleaner cooking and less messy to clean up after. Judging by the prices I've seen on briquette bags lately, propane is cheaper now, too. What's not to like?

Yeah, they do burn a bit more slowly.

Ah reckon.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I'm grilling, I use the readily available mesquite charcoal, not briquettes. At least it's readily available here in central Texas, at just about any H.E.B.'s grocery store, 20 lb. bags.

For barbeque, it's wood. I use a little charcoal to get the wood going. I've used oak, pecan, mesquite, and maple in Michigan.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor