Does anyone need a 5 jaw lathe chuck?

Looks intriguing; the presumption, then, is that somewhere in the world is a rolling mill turning out pentagonal bars? And mill vise jaws with

108 degree and 36 degree vees?

The pentagonal spud on a fire hydrant cap/valve is the only item I can easily imagine this chuck holding.

Reply to
whit3rd

It might be useful to make a model 5 cylinder radial engine.

I just bought their (last?) 5" 4-jaw for the BS-0 index, for $88.79. The plan is to fit it to both the index's blank backplate and a used

5C pot collet to mount on my lathe and another less bulky 24-position 5C indexer.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Just like a 3 jaw it is also VERY good at holding cylendrical objects - very commonly used in a lathe for "turning" - - - - - Grips better than 3 jaws and distributes the clamping force for hollow workpieces.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They seem to be more common - if you can call it that - on wood-turning lathes. 6 jaw is more common withthe same advantages if NOT chucking penta stock.

Reply to
Clare Snyder