Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

Gunner Asch on Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:09:02 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I've even seen it used as raw material for knife blades.

pyotr filipivich

I stored my tractor with the home-made hydraulic bucket outdoors under a deck that leaked slighty.

LPS-3 protected the bare metal from rust except where hydraulic oil leaks washed it off.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Navy definitions are very far from standard English, like saying "head" for what the rest of us associate with our other end.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Gunner Asch on Sat, 18 Jul 2015 22:37:35 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"beat on is like a smith with 'issues'."

pyotr filipivich

The large majority of quality wire rope is made of plain, medium-carbon steel (1040 - 1050). It's a little soft for knife blades.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hah! Very good.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This may be helpful:

It gives me a few things to check on the A frame hoist I've been using to stack logs.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It would be a good "plow" material, being made from "Extra Enhanced Plow Steel".

Ignoramus22127

$1.67

Reply to
Ignoramus22127

19x7, 1/2" thick, extra improved plow steel, 352 feet
Reply to
Ignoramus22127

You do sound like you know something, indeed...

Ignoramus22127

"Plow steel" is plain carbon steel, medium- to hight-carbon. It's an old term but today it applies mostly to the steel used in wire rope.

Most wire rope steel is around 1050; rarely over 1070. Higher carbon is stronger, but it also has less ductility and elongation. So breaking a few fibers becomes more of a risk, because it stretches less before breaking, so it gives you less warning when it's ready to break.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

this is what I bought:

Short URL:

Ignoramus22127

Not too bad. Buy a spool or just the length you needed?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just the length I needed, plus extra 2 feet.

Ignoramus1819

Retired elevator wire rope is commonly woven into blasting mats. We see them all the time around here when they're blasting for new McMansions on the cliffs.

Reply to
rangerssuck