Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:26:04 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus3944 wrote:

Retired elevator wire rope is commonly woven into blasting mats. We see them all the time around here when they're blasting for new McMansions on the cliffs.

You should have had your readers on for that pic, Gramps. The rust cakes on top of that cable were deep. Last pic, magnified.
--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

You do sound like you know something, indeed...

    I've even seen it used as raw material for knife blades. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

    "beat on is like a smith with 'issues'." -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 08:21:32 -0700, pyotr filipivich

The large majority of quality wire rope is made of plain, medium-carbon steel (1040 - 1050). It's a little soft for knife blades.
--
Ed Huntress

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:40:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus23196 wrote:

Iggy, you have the BEST toys.
And I'm glad to see you've decided to replace the rope. I would go along wi th the suggestion of microcystalline wax dissolved in hydraulic oil. I woul d think this would have pretty much the same characteristics of LPS-3 which is ideal for this kind of application - penetrates well, then the volatile s evaporate leaving a waxy protective layer.

Machinary's handbook (1943) recommends Linseed oil for wire ropes.
In marine applications, traditional wire rope dressings often contained anhydrous lanolin.

Gunner, thanks in general, but when seen in person, you can see that the wire rope is rusted bad. I already bought replacement wire rope, I will oil it generously. I oiled wire rope on the winch of the semi trailer 6 months ago and it does not rust at all. I am just deciding between way oil and used hydraulic oil.
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 23:25:25 -0500, Ignoramus3944

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/372/wire-rope-lubrication
May we ask what you paid per foot?
--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

$1.67

this is what I bought:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigging-Supplies-Hardware/Bright-Wire-Rope-19x7-EIPS-IWRC-Spin-Resist/Spin-Resistant-Bright-Wire-Rope-EIPS-WRC-19x7-Class-1-2-Lineal-Foot
Short URL: http://goo.gl/ra3BZ0
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:01:58 -0500, Ignoramus22127

Not too bad. Buy a spool or just the length you needed?
--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Just the length I needed, plus extra 2 feet.

This may be helpful: http://www.hanessupply.com/content/pdfs/wirerope101.pdf
It gives me a few things to check on the A frame hoist I've been using to stack logs.
-jsw

19x7, 1/2" thick, extra improved plow steel, 352 feet