double seal/quad rings vs Orings

I'm trying to repair the slave cylinder on my Clausing 6903 lathe. The lathe has a varidrive that the motor side is moved by a small cylinder using a combination of a lip seal and a couple of small orings.

From what I have read the slave cylinder is problimatical as far as leakage. While cruising the McMaster site I saw double seal orings which I've always called quad rings. Since the weekend is coming and I'd like to play with my new to me lathe, I ordered both standard orings and the quadrings. Which one do you think I should try first?

I ordered them in viton, will run in Mobil DTE 24 in case anyone cares.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

When I rebuild hydraulic cylinders I try to replace the O rings with quad rings. They are better than O rings because of the two lip seals rather than one seal of the O ring. They work better for moving parts. For just a static seal like on an end cap O rings work fine. You may have to remachine the groove to accomodate the quad ring.

John

Reply to
john

Wes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Quad ring all the way if it were me. Two seals for the price of one and a bit. As John said, you may need to re-machine the groove.

Reply to
Anthony

Any tips on where to find data on what groove dimensions should be? I checked my 26ed Machinery Handbook already.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

john

Here is another page on that site that tells about the groove and installation of them.

On a rotary joint prelube the ring or you will burn it up before the oil gets to it.

John

Reply to
john