Dread anyone?

Could be the first real advance in hand held weaponry since gunpowder?

The Dread

But, what is the DREAD, really? How does it work? In a sentence, the DREAD is an electrically-powered centrifuge weapon, or centrifuge "gun". So, instead of using self-contained cartridges containing powdered propellant (gunpowder), the DREAD's ammunition will be .308 and .50 caliber round metal balls (steel, tungsten, tungsten carbide, ceramic-coated tungsten, etc...) that will be literally spun out of the weapon at speeds as high as 8000 fps (give or take a few hundred feet-per-second) at rather extreme rpm's, striking their targets with overwhelming and devastating firepower. We're talking about total target saturation, here. All this, of course, makes the DREAD revolutionary in the literal sense, as well as the conceptual one.

Reply to
cavelamb

Have heard of this over a year now. Seems if it had real merit, one would have heard more or seen it more. I think there are only limited tactical situations where saturation fire is advantageous. I saw another system where the bullets were essentially stacked, and electronically fired. It seems like a centrifugal firing mechanism wouldn't be very accurate except for spraying a certain arc of the circle. Those wheel machine guns with the multiple barrel like The Terminator favors would seem to be enough for me. I wouldn't want someone after me with one of those. I have seen videos of them, and they are awesome. So are the 20 mm. chain cannons. I have a video of them at max range with IR night scopes taking out some insurgents with explosive rounds, and literally shredding the vehicles and blowing the insurgents to pieces. Small pieces. I also like that video of the 50 cal. Barrett with explosive shells picking snipers off rocks in Afghanistan.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

(Maestro, a drum roll, please...) Da-da, da-dah, da-DAH! Now, THAT's entertainment!

Do you have any videos of dismemberment with edged weapons? Do you invite friends over when you show these things?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

From a friend of mine...

Hey! Build your own!!

Joe AutoDrill

People who would happily kill you and yours because you don't bow down to the right god getting shredded- yes, that is worth watching.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Round balls, and probably with a healthy spin on an axis that's transverse to motion so you're guaranteed to have curveballs?

Do they advertise shooting around corners as a feature?

And how heavy is a barrel of the ammo that's big enough so you can shoot for any reasonable amount of time? And how big is this gun? And how easy is it to move around?

"Imagine a gun with no recoil, no sound, no heat, no gunpowder, no visible firing signature (muzzle flash), and no stoppages or jams of any kind."

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front, or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's third law. No sound means that there's no moving parts. No heat means that there's no energy transfer. No stoppages or jams means that the mechanism is perfect in every way. Sure.

OTOH, I can believe the no gunpowder and no muzzle flash; I suppose that

2 of 5 is a good thing, kinda.

"Dismantled for security purposes". Sure -- the inventor didn't want to get arrested for fraud.

(yes, I'm skeptical)

I really shouldn't be so down on the thing -- after all, it's undoubtedly electrically powered, which means it's eco-friendly. (Why didn't they mention that as a feature?) Perhaps the army can get more urban recruits if they conduct "green warfare".

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You can throw something out the front without recoil. You just have to throw something of equal ma out the back at the same time. Of course that would make the gunners position] a little dangerous...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I'll bet you'd find you have a lot in common with them, Dave, if you got to know them. You're off to a good start: you even like the same kinds of movies!

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No, nothing in common.

Believe it or not, there are some people who have demonstrated, again and again, that they have forfeited the right to live in the community of men.

Lets just label this group 'people who will kill you for not obeying islam, people who will throw acid in the face of girls for the crime of going to school, people who will kill their own daughter for being raped'.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

For sure it can't be 'no recoil', but if the energy is imparted to the ammo over a longer time compared to using an explosion, the recoil characteristic could be more manageable.

Not that the world really needs another fricken' slaughter weapon.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I see no reason to assume any inaccuracy. In fact, it could be scary accurate, if you wanted.

Reply to
cavelamb

Hey, enjoying the same kind of entertainment is a good conversation-starter. They like guns, you like guns. You like watching people get shredded, they like watching people get shredded. You're off and running!

And they feel the same way about you. There's another thing you have in common!

Well, there are some new cultural attitudes you can share. If you like watching people get shredded, you'll find a few other points of shared experience in there somewhere.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Cydrome Leader

Oh for Pete Sake, Steve!

The round has to spin along the axis of travel.

Now, figure out a small light weight electrically powered mechanism to make it happen, hmm?

And notice one of the rounds has golf ball type dimples.

Good guess why? (it ain't for shooting around corners, pilgrim!)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Excellent article.

take me to your leader!

Reply to
cavelamb

No recoil while throwing a large number of bullets per second towards enemy, sounds suspiciously like "supply side economics".

Just that claim alone makes me not too interested in the device, which probably would face a lot of trouble (guide wear, fracture possibilities etc) for other reasons.

Ignoramus14358

They're on the Al Jazeera website - Caucasians being beheaded by Arabs.

Reply to
RAM³

Yeah, but how do you cope with precession forces when you raise or lower the point of aim???

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Dave hasn't moved up to that yet. He's still enjoying his awesome videos of Arabs being blown to small pieces with 20 mm chain cannons.

Give him time. Once you've taken a step toward becoming what you hate, anything is possible.

So, do you visit the beheading videos often?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Get this into your head, nice and clear- there are people out there who do NOT have a before-1st-contact live-and-let-live attitude.

MY attitude towards THEM is a result of THEIR attitude towards ME.

If someone clearly states their goal is to kill and subjugate, my attitude will be adjusted accordingly.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp