E85 for shop solvent?

My local gas station now has E85 for about $2.50/gal. Seems like it might make a pretty good shop solvent.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just interested - where are you that they're selling that? Here in Nothern New Jersey, I haven't seen E anything other than a trace (where they don't mention a percentage).
In one shope where I worked, we used straight ethanol (had a customer who drove a chemical truck) for almost everything, right up to dumping a pint or so on an icy windshield. THe stuff was free (to us), and worked pretty well, though not quite as well as lac
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
rangerssuck wrote:

Sacramento Valley
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Under $2.00/gal in some parts of MN.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just interested - where are you that they're selling this stuff? around here (northern NJ), I don't see E-anything, other than a trace that doesn't specify a percentage.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
When I was in the service, the Govt bought 95% ETOH for 26 a gallon in 55 gal stainless drums. Figures out to 2.5 a fifth for 90 proof vodka. The rest is bottling profit and tax.. Joel in Florida
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Except that solvent ethanol is usually NOT safe to drink. The 95% might well be pure ETOH, but the other 5% can be benzene, MEOH, and other nasty compounds. Unless it has a tax stamp on it, I wouldn't drink it. Our lab used to require the occasional 95% ETOH, the good stuff came in a glass bottle, with a tax stamp. I was told that the 200 proof stuff is still not safe, the only way to clear the last of the water is to wash it with benzene, and there are traces of that left behind.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not WASHED, DISTILLED with benzene. An azeotrope occurs at about 95% ethanol/5% water and that's as good as you get with straight distillation. Adding benzene makes a trinary mixture with the water and ethanol and changes the boiling point of same. There are other methods of creating water-free ethanol, like running the stuff over a non-reactive dessicant. Just depends on the final use of the absolute ethanol. The other problem is that ethanol doesn't like to stay water- free.
Stan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would be as concerned with using that product as a solvent as I would gasoline. It's not worth the risk of burning down the shop or house. when Stoddard solvent can be used with relative safety.
They sell it here in Chehalis, Washington as well. Much cheaper than gasoline, but also much lower in energy yield, so I understand.
Harold
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:17:12 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"

It HAS to be about half the price of Gasoline to be close in cost per mile.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:34:06 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools

Some may find it surprising that the energy content per gram of gasoline is about 10 times that of TNT.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.