Easycut bandsaw or larger ?

Hi

I am into model engineering and general pottering - I like the smaller "Easycut" type of ortable bandsaw - like this one :

Is this a good choice for general use or is the larger vert/horizontal combination type more useful ?

thanks TNT

Reply to
TMN

Have had both, will never go back to a portaband type saw. Suggest the ubiquitous 4x6" saw, now becoming widely available in a swivel model which really helps with angled cuts.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

thank for the quick reply !

The 4x6 is actually cheaper than the Easycut !! - but I have found that collecting machinary eats up your garage space. I guess that its portability is its main draw card (for me).

do you use the vertical table position much - would imagine that its low position makes it difficult ?

Tim

Reply to
TMN

I have both, and I like having an option for a quick hack saw on smaller less precise cuts. With my portable for example, I cut the end off a 30lb CO2 tank yesterday. I could not have done that on my 4x6. However there are cuts that aren't appropriate or require more precision than the portable. YMMV

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

I used to use it occasionally - never with the large accessory table installed - but now I have a vertical bandsaw so don't anymore.

The 4x6 on its stand will take up less room than the portaband setup on a bench, since the bench takes up so much room and just collects clutter anyway.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I know exactly what you mean by conserving space. For years I was hearing "Get a 4 x 6, you'll use it all the time", but I thought that I didn't have room for it. I bought a Porta Band and built a stand for it. It hung on the wall when not in use.

Then a neighbor had a 4 x 6 which he offered to give me. I couldn't resist the freebie and found a spot for it in my "stock room". I built a stand with storage underneath to minimize the space lost. It is great! So much better than the Porta Band! Get one and *find* some space for it.

Re vertical mode: I built a permanent "table" for my 4 x 6 that is about

2" x 2". Being that small, it does not interfere with horizontal use and is enough for vertical use. For vertical use all you *really* need is enough "table" to resist the cutting action and stabilize the work. I use it in vertical mode all the time this way, whereas if I had to convert it, I wouldn't do it nearly as much.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I'll bet if you looked again you could actually cut that tank on your

4x6 and I'll go further and say it could be a more accurate cut.
Reply to
syoung