Electric Jack Hammer

Has any one had experience with the Star as sold on Amazon? I need to dig a narrow [4"] trench 15" deep through rotten clayie rock.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
CP
Pilgrim wrote:

Not entirely clear what material your digging through from your description, but one of the ditch-which type trencher units should do the job a lot more easily. I did an 80' trench 24" deep through clay soil that was near cement hardness due to drought, and through a few odd bits of soft-ish rock that were included with a small Baretto trencher without issues.

The material is somewhere between soft rock and hard clay. I only have about 25' to do. However, I am space confined by house, sidewalk, trees, and fences. Thanks for the reply.
CP
Pilgrim wrote:

The Baretto unit is the size of a roto-tiller or snowblower, i.e. pretty compact. 16HP gas, hydraulic drive and whatnot. It was like $150 with tax and all to rent for a day from United Rentals.
http://wpnet.us/Power/pages/100_2921.htm
On 10/25/2012 6:46 PM, Pilgrim wrote:

I wish I could help but I just like the term "clayie". I knew EXACTLY what you meant! Can I use the word or do you have rights?

Have at it.
CP

My dad has a Harbor Freight electric jack hammer. I used it to cut a trench in hard caliche. My double jack was barely scratching out a few inches at a time. The hardest part about using the jackhammer was lifting it up to make the next cut, and lifting it out of the hole so I could shovel out the loose material.
I have used it to break relatively fresh concrete as well, but I have not used it on aged concrete.
How many times do you think you will use it? I suspect my dad's has paid for itself every time one of us has used it.
The shovel blade was very useful when using it to trench.
Bob La Londe wrote:

Really, if you can fit a small rental trencher in as seen in my other post you will be far better off. Once the digging chain is at depth you can just put a spring clamp on the drive handle and let the machine work it's way along with you periodically giving it a tug to keep on course. The machine will pile all or most of the cuttings along side the trench so little shoveling either.
http://wpnet.us/Power/pages/100_2921.htm
80' trench through rock hard mottled red/grey clay and some softer red rocks along the way. I spent most of the time sitting in the shade with a Diet Dr. Pepper watching the machine do the work.

Yes, the little "ditch witch" is definitely the way to go for trenching. The electric jackhammer works reasonably well for breaking up concrete if it is not too thick or strong - and for punching holes through same.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

80' trench?? (Eighty foot) ??