Electrically conductive epoxies

A more expensive process gives a purer product.

Here is another "phth" pronunciation:

Jim Wilkins

Nion chlorinated brake cleaners work too - Or LPS PreSolve - it is about 50-50 medium aliphatic hydrocarbon (solvent Naptha) and D-Limonene.

It is used for paint prep.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Petroleum is a complex mixture. BTW 2,2,4-trimethylpentane is "octane".

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins

It was the stuff we used to wash parts and spray guns. The shop wasn't the most "safety content" We had gallon containers of MEK open on the tables and folks were using it bare handed to clean parts !!!

Reply to
Steve W.

I sent an email to customer service at WM Barr, parent company of Jasco brand Acetone. They said their's (labeled "Professional") is virgin. I bought it at Lowes. After this discussion I'll watch the labels more closely instead of just grabbing a can of Acetone. Caveat Emptor

Reply to
shiggins1

That's good to know. I'll keep it in mind.

I had a couple of gallons of it for nearly 30 years, that I got from Ranger Yachts here in NJ. It's been around so long that I quit using it and disposed of it at a hazmat collection site. Apparently it is hygroscopic, so it will pick up water from the atmosphere unless it's sealed extremely well.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hmm... I wonder if water in my acetone isn't part of my poor prep technique. I buy it by the gallon for the price break. But it might take me a year to use it up. I used to be pretty good at putting the cap back on after pouring some, but lately I've found open containers on the workbench while cleaning up for the day. I'm also pretty religious about cleaning firearms after a day at the range. I usually use Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, which contains 25% acetone. It had always done a good job, but when I pulled a rifle out of the closet for the first time in a year it had a little surface rust. I was able to wipe it off with more Ed's, but now I wonder if the formula put the water there for rust to form. I made a new batch of Ed's this year so I'll watch it closely.

Steve

Reply to
shiggins1

Man, ya' got me. I used a lot of it in years past but only for a few, limited purposes. For most cleaning, I didn't care about a little oil or water. But for prepping surfaces for bonding with epoxy or polyester, the purity of it, as I learned the hard way, can be critical.

I have no further info to help you, Steve. That's everything I know about it, and it's just experience-based from those limited uses. I don't do chemistry.

Reply to
Ed Huntress