end mill pipe notcher wanted

I'm looking for a used end mill type pipe notcher, rent lease or buy.

Thanks, JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

An end mill notcher by the more common name is a Bridgeport milling machine. It is stiff, flexible and has the right cutting speeds. I can assure you that every tube shop in this area is using a B'port or B'port clone. I have a Yuasa, Taiwan made B'port clone, ready to do your bidding at $850. Located at Zip 92627, Costa Mesa, CA. Leigh@MarMachine

Reply to
Leigh Knudson

:)

Well heck, why not just use one of those tiny horrible freight micro-taiwan drill presses. It should be plenty rigid enough if you just brace it like crazy, bolt the head to the ceiling, change out the spindle bearings, put in a bigger motor, add some back gears, and do something about the taper-mount chuck.

Sure.

Jim

jim rozen

I would also consider abrasive belt type, in 220V.

Thanks, JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Thanks to both for the insightful suggestions. My circumstances and preferances rule out both options however. Although I must admit that either would definitly look unique out in the middle of the desert, bolted down to the back of a welding rig.

regards, JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

What I need is an end mill notcher, just like I originally asked about. I understand that some of the replies were made as humour, but when posting I expected the usual amount of computor bound experts to "tell" me what it is that I "really" need (in spite of no clue as to application), if only I was wise enough to understand! If only I was as smart as all those guys running tube shops in Costa Mesa!

: ) JTMcC : )

Reply to
John T. McCracken

Is this what you're looking for? i confess I use my horizontal mill as a tubing notcher all the time. Some of these look kind of cool, they all look more expensive than my mill...

Brian

Brian

--What they're using, IIRC, is a Rotabroach cutter.

Reply to
steamer

Several companies make them but I think the one from Pro Tools is the nicest I have seen, several companies sell the Pro Tools model. They run from around $4000 and up, delivered. I've got about 2500 saddles to cut in 1 1/2" sch 40, using 110V.

John T. McCracken

Probably better than the response on alt.building.construction, though:-). I checked out the video of the mtech sales benchtop unit, it doesn't look much different than a horizontal mill- as a purpose built machine if it can repay you in convenience and mobility that's the name of the game, though. Those end mills are cool, if I can get them for 50 cents a pound maybe I'll notch some used pipe- good luck with your job.

Reply to
ATP

I'm suprised to not get the standard internet response something like - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER, NEVER NOTCH A PIPE!!! EVERYONE IN YOUR STATE WILL DIE IMMEDIATLY IF YOU TRY!!!!! YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE MUTANTS AND YOU WILL GO BLIND!!!!!! I KNOW, IT HAPPENED TO MY NEIGHBOR!!!!!

JTMcC : )

Reply to
John T. McCracken